2.8 running and want to add 2.9.1 to the same server.

2.8 running and want to add 2.9.1 to the same server.

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -
Number of replies: 2

I have my own server so I own my mistakes (:

Presently I am developing a course in 2.8 that will be imported to the school system when they install 2.9.1 for the fall.  

Instead of deleting 2.8 from my home system to install 2.9.1, can I leave 2.8 to have 2.9.1 running on the same server?  Are there special directions for this? 

Of course, I will backup my course work first...

If all it is is just an update and we do not have to delete one for the other, we can do that.  We just need to know the best way. I don't care if I am off-line for a day or two.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

Re: 2.8 running and want to add 2.9.1 to the same server.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

1.  If you are importing the course to 2.9.1 you don't actually have to install the new version on your server.  It will import just fine.

2.  However, you can just upgrade your server to 2.9 fairly easily.  Rename your moodle folder to moodleold.  Download the new code from Moodle.org.  Copy across the config.php file and all of your addins/plugins.  You can find a list of these by going to your plugins page before you start.

3.  Go to your webpage and it should upgrade once you login.

In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

Re: 2.8 running and want to add 2.9.1 to the same server.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You can install 2.9 and having it running in paralell. I run multiple versions of moodle on my laptop with URL's like

localhost/mdl28

localhost/mdl29

etc etc