Groupingly Grouping my grouped groups problem....

Groupingly Grouping my grouped groups problem....

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -
Number of replies: 10

I believe I am 99% of the way here but students in one group can still see assignments in the other group and vice versa.

I have a few pics to post and wonder if they will all show.

Within Users:

Within Users

Settings for the assignment:

What I see:

But the student sees and can submit to both:

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

Re: Groupingly Grouping my grouped groups problem....

by Rob Johnson -

Hi Steve,

Look for a Group restriction option in the conditional activities section.

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Rob Johnson -

After looking at my 2.8 site, it is under Restrict access.  You can set individual groups or groupings.

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

"restrict Access", where?

I did find another location in Course Settings> Groups but changing these did not help

113mw, 113tr, and None were ties with no changes to visibility

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

OK, found another one in Site admin>Advanced Features> and it is hidden in Enable Conditional Access. (3rd from the bottom).

It seems to work but the resources that are not assigned to the group still show up in the list.
They show up as disabled which messes up the list with entries that are not significant to the student.

How do I hide these from the student?

by Rob Johnson -

Look for an eyeball icon to the left of the restriction on the settings page.  If it is open, the item will be grayed out for those that do not have access.  If you close it, it will be completely hidden.

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

"If it is open, the item will be grayed out for those that do not have access.  If you close it, it will be completely hidden."

This is the problem.  I don't want it visible as grayed out in the first place.

Is it not possible to make the assignments "16a TR Classwork" and "17b TR Classwork" to be totally invisible and let the "16a MW Classwork" and "17b MW Classwork" remain visible for those in my MW class?

The first image is what the students in 113MW see now.  In 15 weeks, there will be 30 lines that are not needed for this group.

The second pic is done with some slight-of-hand but it is what i want the students in my 113MW group to see.

=====================================================================

by Rob Johnson -

Closing the eye in the access restriction will make the item invisible to groups/groupings that are not allowed access. 

Example:  I restrict access to members of group A and close the eye on the access restriction.  Members of group A will see the item and can access.  Members of any other group will not see the item at all.  I think that is what you are trying to accomplish.

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

We seem to be on the same boat but I just cannot find said "Access Restriction"

Tell me where to go....

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

ach! Found it.

Edit the assignment and at the bottom of the list is Restrict Access, the same location where the assignment was set to the group.

The eye is sitting right just stating at me.

It does beg the question as to why to show everyone the restricted assignments.  
I wonder if the default can be reversed.

by Rob Johnson -

My teachers use the grayed out setting for restrictions based on grade conditions (passing a previous item).  They want students to know there is something there and show the conditions needed to access it.