2.8: Indicator to show ungraded assignments?

2.8: Indicator to show ungraded assignments?

by Carol Baker -
Number of replies: 14

I wonder if there is a symbol to get tagged onto the assignment line to show that a student has handed in something to be graded. 

Right now, either I go through everyone one at a time or have the students tell me if/when I have missed some.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Carol Baker

Re: 2.8: Indicator to show ungraded assignments?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

There are a number of ways that you can achieve what you want and these all require an add-on to be installed:

• Progress Bar - available for all versions of Moodle from 2.0 to 2.9. Can be set to monitor activity submissions as well as whether it has been marked or passed. Can also be used to monitor the status of other activities. Allows both students and teachers to see a students progress.
  • Grade Me - available for all versions of Moodle from 2.3 to 2.9. Students normally do not see anything in the Grade Me block but teachers see assignments, database, forum, glossary and quizzes that need to be graded. So as soon as a student submits, they would appear in the Grade Me block.

Outdated add-ons that work similar to Grade Me for assginments:

• AJAX Marking - unfortunately has not been updated past Moodle 2.4.
  • FN Marking Manager - unfortunately has not been updated past Moodle 2.5.
In reply to AL Rachels

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I think this a feature that should be in core Moodle

In reply to AL Rachels

by Dirk Meyer -

The FN Marking Manager is supposed to be upgraded soon so it works with 2.7 and onwards I believe. Several schools got together and raised CAN $10,000 to have this funded. We are patiently waiting for this to be done as teachers need the ability to quickly scan assignments that need attention. Maybe check the FN Marking Manager for updates.

In reply to Carol Baker

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I presume you mean all assignments across the board/throughout a course? Because for individual assignments in a course you can filter them to "requires grading".
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Can't seem to find said filter.

Tell me where to go.

In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Steve - for the filter, go to an assignment and click "View/grade all submissions" and then scroll down to the bottom of that screen to "options" You will see a filter dropdown and you can select "Requires grading". Here is the direct link to the filter info in the docs

In reply to Mary Cooch

by nainesh kathrotia -

Hi Mary,

Can you please tell me how to export assignment report after click on "View/grade all submissions" those we get table .

I want before grading just to know how many submitted and not submitted report in EXCLE.

(which is view by click "View/grade all submissions" but how it can export.)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by AL Rachels -

Yes, but in the case of all four items mentioned, they are blocks where I can see what needs attention without having to go into grading mode of an activity.

In fact, I have only one instance of Grade Me installed on my Moodle main page with it configured to to show up on any page in the system. When I log in as teacher, no matter where I am in Moodle, I always know what needs my attention, in that course. Students always see an empty Grade Me block unless, for some reason, they have grading privileges somewhere.

Whenever something shows up in the Grade Me block, the teacher can ONE click and be grading the item. This is so handy from the front page as it gets me into any course and into grading mode with just one click.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Marcus Green -

Gradebook should show when assignments are submitted but not marked.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Carol Baker -

If this is in reference to my comment, yes it does but that means that I have to go into each and every assignment to check.

I allow resubmission for improvement.  It is almost impossible to be sure that I caught them all.  A simple flag on the list of assignments would make this incredibly easy.  I will know that there is at least one to be marked without any extra clicking around.

In reply to Carol Baker

by Steven Grindle -

Carol and anybody else in this discussion,

I am working with Moodle 2.7 and I have the same problem (see attached annotated image).

If there is a simple flag for ungraded assignments similar to unread forum posts, let me know.

Steven

Attachment flag_ungraded_assignments.png
In reply to Steven Grindle

by AL Rachels -

As mentioned above, the Grade Me block will shows items needing grading for you. If a student resubmits or posts again, they will get listed again as needing grading.

The FN Marking Manager pretty much works the same way too, but I have not used it for a while. That's because I figured out a fairly easy way of adding to the Grade Me block so that it would also list items as needing grading for some other plugins that I used.