Email Notification for Submission Comments

Email Notification for Submission Comments

by Ali Hastie -
Number of replies: 7

Are there any plans to have submission comments email notifications to students in the near future? Our teaching staff recognises this can be achieved using the feedback comments facility but would like this also to happen with the submission comments too. Using Moodle 2.4.3

Cheers

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ali Hastie

Re: Email Notification for Submission Comments

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Interesting idea - I'd always worked on the assumption that the submission comments area was for the students to post into with any comments about the files they were submitting, rather than for the tutors to post into for the students smile

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Ali Hastie -

Both our students and staff have asked for the submission comments email alerts. Was quite shocked the students asked for this but they really like the comments facility.

Certain lecturers using the submission comments to...mentor the students for their submissions as such, without giving too much away within their comments.

We have found that Internal and External Verifiers like this method as the comments are date and time stamped and also views paths of communication between lecturer and students. It also shows how much intervention the lecturer has had during the students assessment.

Currently, I have encouraged our teaching staff to make their comments and then send a mobile text through using MoodleTxt to prompt them that they have feedback. Within ten minutes or so, majority of the students will access their assignment feedback. Very effective.

Some of our students have their mobile numbers connected to their email accounts, so when they are graded etc they will receive an email and a text alert.

Cheers

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Lizzy Ralph -

Hi Ali

I am wondering if you have found a solution for this issue yet.

We need this function for our college too.

It will be useful if we can get the submission comments email alerts.

Lizzy

In reply to Lizzy Ralph

by Ali Hastie -

Hi Lizzy

I am afraid we have not found or seen anything on this. Would be a good configurable feature.

Ali

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

E-mail alerts for Submission comments would be a great thing. I'm surprised to see no settings for Submission comments at Site administration / > Plugins / > Activity modules / > Assignment / > Submission plugins / > Manage assignment submission plugins ... All I can do is disable the plugin globally, sad.

Or else the teacher - as before - should be able to turn this feature off per assignment, as used to be the case - cf.  http://it.umn.edu/moodle-24-26-including-student-comments ..

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Vicke Denniston -
Picture of Testers

We've just discovered an issue with this, that if the instructor uses the submission comments it emails the instructor, and for our institution 2 groups of people whose roles is built on the instructor (editing teacher) role and have access to all classes. At least now I know why