How to edit locked grades

How to edit locked grades

by poorya md -
Number of replies: 3
Hi, I want to edit some grades in gradebook and while the grade is locked, I cannot do that.
We have an strict deadlines for taking quizzes and we only allow some special students, to overdue quizzes.
I do not think that I can unlock grades because it will bring late attempts in gradebook.

Is there anyway for me to edit some grades without auto updating empty (late) grades?
Can I unlink gradebook grade items from activities?

In reply to poorya md

Re: How to edit locked grades

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
If you have set up the correct overrides for the quiz, then it will not matter.  Did you realize that you can create overrides for your special students and give them an alternative deadline?  If you do this, then you will not have lock grades as their quizzes will not be graded until their deadline.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by poorya md -

Thank you very much for your answer,

Actually, I know about overrides and it cannot help me this way, I think! (If I'm wrong, correct me)

This is my scenario:

1- I have 2 quizzes with unlimited attempts available for everyone.

2- Grading option is set to "first attempt" (so that students can practice quizzes)

3- grade item is set to be locked on a specific deadline so that only first attempts submitted before deadline are accepted in gradebook.

That is our rule. BUT, I need some grades to be overwritten.

If I unlock grade items, it bring all "late" "first attempt"s I think.

I can, also, manually override grades for people that must get zero but I need to learn if there is a better and predefined way.

is there anyway to override lock option?

In reply to poorya md

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Here is another solution that might work...

Have two copies of each quiz (use the duplicate feature).  Change the number of attempts for the first quiz to 1 and set your cutoff deadline in the quiz settings.  Then you can create overrides for the students that need a delayed deadline. 

For the second copy of the quiz, make the grade zero.  Then make it's appearance conditional upon the student receiving a grade on the first quiz.  This will allow them to practice later if they want to but they will not be able to access it until they have taken care of their first attempt.