Moodle tip: Quick ways to generate Cloze questions

Moodle tip: Quick ways to generate Cloze questions

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Gap-fill, Fill in the blank, Cloze, Embedded answers, call them what you like - Moodle's standard Embedded Answers (Cloze) question type is a useful but quite tricky feature to implement. There are various alternatives, such as the contributed Gapfill question type, and the very popular HotPot module , but if you are unable to add plugins or you need to stick with Moodle's default, here is an online Cloze question type generator.  You don't need to worry about getting the syntax correct as all you need to remember is to add a hashtag # in front of the word you wish to be left blank. Ah - OK - it's in German -not to worry - it's really simple! 

Cloze generator 1

Once you've added in your text (1) and clicked the button to preview it (2), it will appear below for you to check it:

Cloze generator 2

Then when you are happy with it, click the second button from the left at the top of your screen to generate the syntax:

Cloze generator 3

In another tab you'll get your question text - you just then copy it and add it to your Moodle question in your Quiz:

Cloze generator 4

Actually, this generator will do a lot more if you wished to spend the time exploring it and/or if your German or your Google Translate are up to it. For example, the last button on the right at the top displays different characters, numbers, accents and so on that you can include in your question.

Clloze generator 5

However, the title is "Quick ways.." so I'll leave it at that.  I know there are other useful methods  out there so it would be good if people can suggest some more.  (And thanks to the Moodlers over in the German forum for highlighting this one.)

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Moodle tip: Quick ways to generate Cloze questions

by Itamar Tzadok -

Here is a cloze editor I wrote several years ago: http://substantialmethods.com/subject/view.php?id=13&section=2. You can generate the questions with either short answer or multple choice. You can define sets of words to be used. In the multiple choice type the set constitutes for each replacement one correct answer and a few distractors. Fairly basic but should be effective. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

Re: Moodle tip: Quick ways to generate Cloze questions

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

That's really nice Itamar, though I think the gapfill question type is the ultimate for usability (but then I would wouldn't I)