Is it possible to comment on lesson pages?

Is it possible to comment on lesson pages?

by Marcus Birkenkrahe -
Number of replies: 4

Hi, I am developing online courses using the Moodle lesson activity. My students are doing this too, as part of their coursework. I'm wondering if it is possible to comment on an individual lesson page and if so, how? This would be most useful especially while developing a lesson (actually, since nothing is written in stone, it always would be) & if participants wanted to discuss a certain content. As a workaround, I usually use a "mailto" HTML tag - but that doesn't amount to a discussion thread which would be most useful. Thanks very much in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marcus Birkenkrahe

Re: Is it possible to comment on lesson pages?

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Markus,

Maybe you can create a forum thread to comment this lesson and include a link to this forum thread in some page contents of the lesson ?

In reply to Marcus Birkenkrahe

by Stephen Bourget -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Moodle supports a comment block (https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Comments_block) which can be added to any page.  Why not just add that block to each page on your lesson?

In reply to Stephen Bourget

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Stephen - do you know how to add a different comments block to each page of the lesson? Because otherwise the comments will be all mixed up in one block even on different pages.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Stephen Bourget -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Mary -  you are right. If you tell it to display the same block on all pages in the lesson you will have that problem. You can add a separate instance of a block to each page by previewing that specific page in the lesson and selecting "add block"  This way you could place it on one lesson page and not another.

I've done this in lesson with the HTML block in the past, but when I just tested it on the QA site I found it doesn't seem to work with comments.  I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design.  Testing it on my local copy of Moodle 2.9 it looks like all of the comments are stored referencing the activity module where the block is added and not the specific instance of the block. (I reported this as MDL-50845)

I didn't realize that this block worked that way.