Empty student Dashboard

Empty student Dashboard

by Jeroen Horters -
Number of replies: 14

I am setting up a moodle site for the company I work for so they can globally offer their trainings. This is my first time using moodle, or any other learning environment.

Moodle 2.9 has been installed on a server using mySQL, apache and php. Install all went fine and the admin account can eddit all settins and create content without issues.

However, when I log on to a test student account I uploaded, I see a completely blank page like such:

I've checked as many settings that could affect this page as well as the forums, but I didn't find any solution. The student is enrolled in at least one course using manual enroll and the courses are not hidden. The admin dashboard does have a number of blocks present.

I hope anyone can help me with this issue

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeroen Horters

Re: Empty student Dashboard

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jeroen,

Please see the blank pages FAQ in Installation FAQ for things to check.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Jeroen Horters -

I've added the dirroot to the config file, checked for PHP errors and tried to load the page on a couple of other browsers. None of these fixed the problem. It might be useful to add that the page isn't incomplete, just empty.

When loading the frontpage, without being logged in, I get the following notice:

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$registerauth in /var/www/html/moodle/login/index_form.html on line 22

However, after I log in I get no further errors or notices. I also never added, removed or edited any blocks on the frontpage on any account.

by Jeroen Horters -

Still haven't found a solution. any feedback would be greatly appreciated

by ben jerry -

Hello Jeroen,

there is an air of urgency apparent in your request, oh dear!

I think Helen might be off tis the weekend afterall smile

So, I think try running a query with that line/with another db. I think it is to do with what that line commands.  Am also thinking, in turn, it might be to do with registration/authentication matters.

I say this from my experience of install.

hope that is helpful for you to make progress/if not let us know.

BJ 

In reply to ben jerry

by Jeroen Horters -

Hey Ben,

Sorry that I seemed more urgent than I really am, it's not THAT bad smile. I've traced the error message I posted down to a value that hasn't been set, because it has to do with e-mail based self enrollement, which is not enabled, so it's completely unrelated to the problem I'm having.

As far as registration/authentication and capabilities, I've gone over all those settings so many times to check if users should be able to do everything and at least on a setting level everything seems to be in order. Something strange is going on and I just can't put my finger on it. Can something have gone wrong with the installation even though moodle didn't give any warnings during it? that's pretty much the only thing I can come up with at this point.

by ben jerry -
Want to think about this, nice question. 

Will post back. 

BJ

In reply to ben jerry

by Jeroen Horters -

Something I found out that might be helpful: The permissions for viewing and adding blocks are all set correctly, however when I check the permission for my test students they are disallowed to do anything. But they are authenticated users, because they can log onto the site. This is really weird. So my users can log on, but they don't seem to be authenticated. Very weird.

Thanks for your help in advance

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If your users can log on then they are authenticated. Go to Site administration>Users>Permissions>Define roles and set the authenticated user role back to its default (it may already still have the default settings but no harm will be done) And the same for the student role for good measure.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben jerry -
It sounds odd, but mary may have given you the solution there... If not plan b
In reply to ben jerry

by Jeroen Horters -

unfortunately resetting the permissions didn't change anything. I'd like to hear plan B. Also when creating contrent I'm getting a large amount of notices that properties aren't defined. This probably has to do with config.php. Could it be that it is incomplete? Could those missing options lead to this problem? or are there defaults set in place for those variables?

by Jeroen Horters -

I ended up reinstalling Moodle, which fixed all issues. So I think somehting went wrong with the original install even though it semeed to be in order. Thanks to everyone that replied.

by Hugh Edwards -

Hi Jeroen, 

Is this the same issue as I'm having: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=316705 ?

It's bloody annoying and I think it must be a bug as I too have gone through all the roles - in fact I've turned the lot on, and still nothing appears in the dashboard for the new user. Mine are Manually enrolled users. If you make them an admin, then refresh their dashboard, and then remove their admin status, all appears normally. 

Hugh. 

[Edit] the issue actually appears to be that the student doesn't have access to any blocks, even though there are blocks on the default dashboard, and in their roles can view and add blocks. 

In reply to Hugh Edwards

by Hugh Edwards -

Hi Everyone. 

Ok, at least for my problem, which I believe is the same as Jeroen's, it was a problem with not the Student permissions, but the Authenticated User permissions. I reset that, and all was well. smile 

Hugh. 

In reply to Hugh Edwards

by Dwaine Webb -

We are having this same issue and I am finding it directly related to the /moodle/my:manageblocks setting for authenticated users.  When I uncheck this setting to prevent authenticated users from Customizing the Dashboard it will bring up a blank page for users who have never logged in before. 

If I set the /moodle/my:manageblocks to allow customizing the Dashboard, first time users will get the normal default dashboard.

Does anyone have a solution that will prevent customizing the Dashboard and allow first time users to get the initial default dashboard loaded?

DW