Moodle upgrade - Will I lose user data?

Moodle upgrade - Will I lose user data?

by Ron Raney -
Number of replies: 3

Please assume I am a newbie. I have been developing Moodle for a while but only in production since May.

I am using Moodle 2.7.3 and I apparently need to upgrade to Moodle 2.7.8 in order to fix a glitch. The glitch is that I cannot restore my courses. Problem in detail here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=315668#p1265013.

My post here has to do with upgrading Moodle. I searched the docs and forums but I can't find an answer. When you upgrade Moodle, and if it goes well, do you lose user data? We have courses currently running on a live server. I need to create new courses based on backups, but I can't do that without errors. So, I have to upgrade Moodle. Will the current courses be affected? Will user data be lost? How do I upgrade a live production site without disrupting it?

That is all. If you have solutions to either my previous problem or current one, I really appreciate it.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ron Raney

Re: Moodle upgrade - Will I lose user data?

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Moodle upgrades always preserve user data.

On of the common ways to lose user data is by backing up a course on Moodle 1.9.x and restoring it on a recent 2.x.x version. But you wouldn't lose data by upgrading Moodle from 1.9 to 2.2 then to a recent 2.x.x version.

In reply to Ron Raney

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

As long as you follow upgrade instructions you should be fine. Upgrading is a fairly easy process. Always backup everything first. 

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Ron Raney -

Thank you! I feel more rest-assured now.