Updating External Resources

Updating External Resources

by Mathew Reed -
Number of replies: 2

Hi All,

I have a difficult question I was hoping someone could PLEASE assist me with!

Basically, I have content eg: animations that are the same scorm package used across multiple courses. If I want to update the animation, generally I have to go to all the courses and update the scorm package.

Is there a way of hosting the scorm somewhere on the site, so if I change that one package, it will filter through to all locations that the file is located? So if I alter the parent or original file, it will trickle through to all instances of where the file is located.

Will be forever grateful for guidance.

Thanks,

mat.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mathew Reed

Re: Updating External Resources

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mathew,

There are a number of ways to do this. My preferred way is to use the File System repository where I create my self a site wide repository where I can do mass uploads via ftp. I set up my own folders inside the repository to organize files and make them easier to find.

You can also use the Private Files repository and also set up folders there for organizing files to make them easy to find.

Now comes the part that makes this all work. When you create your SCORM activity in Moodle and select the Package File, be sure you select the radio button for Create an alias/shortcut to the file. The last and most import step, is then to set Auto-update frequency to either Every Day or Every time it's used. Without that last step, your "trickle through" will never happen.

HTH,

AL

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

Re: Updating External Resources

by Mathew Reed -

Hi Al,

Thanks a lot for this information - it really has helped.

The instructions for the SCORM will come a treat. However, If it's something like a resource eg: a PDF, how do I get that to Auto update throughout the site? Is there an Auto update feature for files/resources?

Thanks,

mat.