How to change appearance of front and other pages in Moodle

How to change appearance of front and other pages in Moodle

by John Mayer -
Number of replies: 12
I am trying to figure out how to change the appearance of the front page, in particular, but also that of other pages on our Moodle site. When I click on Site administration -> Front page -> Front page settings, the only thing I can change is the text along with a few other options. I would like to add more graphics or perhaps a Flash or HTML 5 presentation and even change the font type if possible. I would prefer to do this without having to edit the actual html and php files. Can someone please advise? Thank you!!!!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Mayer

Re: How to change appearance of front and other pages in Moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello. Take a look at the Standard themes documentation. There is a lot you can do with the standard More theme, built into Moodle, or you could install one of many free contributed themes from moodle.org/plugins

Our School demo site for example is 100% standard Moodle using the More theme - see it here: Mount Orange (although people do play with it so if it looks odd it might just be that someone is practising editing something - check back a couple of minutes after the hour when it resets wink )

I am moving this to the Themes forum...

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You can also add quite a bit of images, etc using the topic sections as labels, so it really does depend exactly what you want to achieve

In reply to John Mayer

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi John,

If you read my Look & Learn you will get a good idea of how you can quickly modify the 'frontpage' of your Moodle site. It's a forum post which outlines how you can utilise the various 'Examples' given for Bootstrap 2.3.2 that we use here in Moodle for our responsive themes like 'Clean' and 'More', 

As well as adding snip-its of Bootstrap HTML5 to your 'Site Topic' area, you can also add them to your Course topics too. Adding Media files is very easy as this is all done using the Text Editor. So basically wherever you are in Moodle that allows you to add text to a page you will have ample opportunity to add various type of activities and resources to your site pages.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by John Mayer -

Thanks everyone for all your contributions!

Mary, the Look & Learn section is a great resource. However, I tried to place the code in a text editor and open it in a browser but I am seeing the following:

Will it look more like your version when I copy it to the Moodle site? Is there something else I need to do?

Also, I would like to add a banner/graphic like the one you have in your Look & Learn discussion topic. However, I do not see the current images in the HTML editor (Atto editor). I'm also not sure how I'd remove them, change the rest of the layout and add the code you provided along with some new graphics and text. You cannot see the buttons for "Learn more" and "View details". Can you help guide me in the right direction? I am taking this over from someone who hardly got started on our Moodle site. In any case, I really appreciate all the help!

In reply to John Mayer

by John Mayer -

Here is a screenshot of the webpage to which I added your code.

Attachment Sample_layout_frontpage1.png
In reply to John Mayer

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi John, 

Perhaps I misunderstood your question. I assumed you were talking about customising your Moodle front page, not creating some random standalone webpage.

The code is meant to go into the frontpage topic area using a Bootstrapbase theme (either the Clean or More theme) In Moodle Whilst logged in as Admin.

Sorry for my error.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

John - you can use our sandbox site demo.moodle.net to try out the code in the front page topic section there. (As well as Mary's code there is also the code from the School demo site which is here and which, again, you simply copy and paste into the topic section and also a bit in the More theme page settings. That page also has a link to Mary's Look and Learn smile )

In reply to Mary Evans

by John Mayer -

Thanks again for your replies.

Mary, there was no error on your part at all. I'm actually planning to revamp/spruce up our current front page which needs some work. I merely tested the code in a simple text file and opened it in a browser just to see if the code would look the same as you have it in the forum. Can I assume that, if I copy the code in the Atto Html editor, the layout will look the same as it does in your demonstration under "Look & Learn"? Is there anything else I need to do? Also, how would I deleted the graphics and images already on the front page? I do not see them in the code in the HTML editor.

Thanks so much for your help and quick response times!!!!

In reply to John Mayer

by Mary Evans -

Hello John,

Which version of Moodle are you using and is your Moodle site public? If so could you send me web address so that I can assess the site and perhaps be better able to advise you?

Many thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by John Mayer -

Hi Mary,

Here's the URL: http://www.schoolofcleaning.com.

Thanks so much for all your help!

John

In reply to John Mayer

by John Mayer -

Oh forgot to mention the version of Moodle that we are using: 1.9

Is it easy to upgrade to the latest version? It seems to be more user friendly than 1.9.

In reply to John Mayer

by Mary Cooch -

John -that URL you gave just now would appear to be a more recent version of Moodle, 2.8 - is it definitely the one you are using and wanting to edit?