Ordering assignments in gradebook

Ordering assignments in gradebook

by A. T. Wyatt -
Number of replies: 3
I have an instructor who would like to change the order of the assignments showing in the gradebook.  He is not using categories because he likes a simple point total for the grade.  His grades are all mixed up, because they are chronological.  Instead of having the quizzes together, the essays together, etc., they are just one after the other as they appeared in the topic.

Is there any way to change the order of assignments in the gradebook itself?  (I can't figure it out if this IS possible--Blackboard allows this, but I don't think Moodle does).  If the instructor HAS to use categories to keep his grades from being a mush, then perhaps someone could point me to a tutorial where it explains how to do categories that add to a cumulative point total?

I am not good enough with the gradebook yet to design a solution for this instructor.  Thanks, anyone, for some tips!

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

Re: Ordering assignments in gradebook

by Jeff Graham -
Hi,

Currently there is not a way to reorder the assignments in the gradebook, however, the hooks are there for somebody who wants to add the additional code to let the user change the order.

Regardless of that, to solve your current situation the gradebook keeps items in the same order they show up in the course. So if you want to group items using categories you can setup the gradebook so the advanced features are used for grouping only. To do this try the following;
  • turn on advanced features
  • under "set preferences" choose the following:
    • display weighted grades -> no
    • display points -> to everyone
    • display percents -> to everyone
    • display letter grades -> no
    • letter grade -> use percent
  • under "set categories" create categories and group assignments accordingly.
That should give you a "basic" gradebook utilizing categories for grouping only. The initial view of the gradebook will now show you subtotals of each category (clickable to a drill down view) and a total for the course calculated exactly as before.

The online help also has information for what the settings do on each tab of the gradebook settings.

Hope that helps.
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Michael Penney -
Create a category for each type, put the activities in the category (e.g. all essays in the essays category) you want them in, and show only points in the gradebook  if you just want cumulative points.

More>>
http://learn.humboldt.edu/mod/book/view.php?id=8742&chapterid=1674
In reply to Michael Penney

by A. T. Wyatt -
Thank you both very much.  I have looked at the on-ine help, but since this is a real course with real students, I was pretty reluctant to "experiment" with the settings!  We will try these suggestions out right away.

atw