tinymce editor link window not entering text

tinymce editor link window not entering text

by Nathan Bruley -
Number of replies: 6

I'm running Aardvark 2.6.4 on Moodle 2.6.5+. Internet Explorer 9 users are experiencing an issue where info is not getting populated after clicking the link icon in html editor. For example, the window title is {#advlink_dig.title} and tab {#advlink_dlg.general_tab}. Other browsers we use seem to be fine. Also, our test site which is basically a clone is fine. I tried reinstalling tinymce and that didn't help. I tried a different theme and that didn't help. I thought maybe a change in compatibility mode did it, but that wouldn't be the case if it works on the test server. Any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nathan Bruley

Re: tinymce editor link window not entering text

by Jez H -

To narrow it down I would suggest:

• Clear caches in case you have a cached js error
  • Switch theme to clean and see if that resolves the issue (if it does see if the Ardvark developers have any suggestions

On a side note all support including critical security patches has ended for 2.6 so you really want to consider an upgrading.

2.8.6 would be a nice stable option, 2.9.0 would give you another six months support, 2.9.1 will be available in July which will have more bug fixes in it.

In reply to Jez H

by Nathan Bruley -

Switching to clean doesn't resolve. I tried logging on as a new user and that didn't do anything. The only thing that resolves it is changing the browser to Chrome.

Strangely, we installed IE11 instead of IE9 and that worked for a while, but then, since it was working in IE11, I uninstalled Chrome, and IE11 started acting up again. Then I reinstalled Chrome and nothing changed in IE11.

I tried enabling script errors in the browser and didn't see anything. Also tried viewing console and didn't see any errors.  Very strange...

I'm worried about upgrading when we use the face to face plugin, which doesn't appear to be actively supported or perhaps buggy after 2.6...

by Jez H -

We used to see a lot of issues in IE9 in compatability mode, you may want to check you have not switched in / out of that.

I have never seen an issue with tinymce though, have you purged your caches?

Face to face lists a version for 2.8:

https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=mod_facetoface

Another point is that whether a plugin shows for a particular Moodle version is simply down to whether the maintainer says it supports that version. If it is not listed it may just mean it hasnt been tested yet.

On occasions I have tested plugins for a version they did not list and subsequently told developers they are good to go on a particular version and they have listed it.

On the flip side I have used plugins that were listed for a version that were buggy, so whilst those version listings are a very useful guide they are not absolute.

.... and most importantly you should always test an upgrade thoroughly before upgrading by making a copy of the site on a different domain or altering the hosts file on your PC to point the domain at a different server where you can test with the original database (which will contain references to your domain name).
In reply to Jez H

by Nathan Bruley -

In regard to purging caches, I logged on to the computer for the first time as myself and tested it, so there should have been no cached information in IE itself. I also went through Moodle development and purged all caches there.

In regard to compatibility mode, I would think that it would be consistent and do the same thing for the test server as for the production server, and it doesn't...  I'm considering doing a database copy from production to test and see if that affects the test server. If it does, then I would know it's something bad in the database... but I'm not sure I want to do that because then I would corrupt the test as well. However, I did totally uninstall tinymce and it said it removed all database components, then I reinstalled tinymce from the test server files. Still no luck.

...Wait! I'll bet our server guy only set compatibility mode for the production Moodle, so that's our best bet for a solution. I'm checking with him. Any idea if this is resolved in future versions of Moodle?

Thanks for the link to face to face! Maybe I should try an upgrade and see if that helps... it's just time consuming when I have so many other things going, and you often run into issues and things you have to tweak seems like.

Nathan

by Nathan Bruley -

Unfortunately our server guy says enterprise mode settings should not affect Moodle on IE9-- specific to a particular site and IE11.

by Nathan Bruley -

After installing Atto editor, TinyMCE started working. So who knows what the problem was, but it is fixed.