Blank screen after successful installation

Blank screen after successful installation

by kishore kommireddy -
Number of replies: 24
I have install moodle 2.6 on my machine( windows-7) installation done successfully but after installation i had filled all database details(username and password).After completing this click on COMPLETED button i have seen blank screen(no login page).Please help me on this.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to kishore kommireddy

Re: Blank screen after successful installation

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Kishore,

you'll find two folders in your "moodledata" folder

localcache

and

cache

Delete them both, and refresh browser, things will start working for you. and dont worry deleting them, as once you click reload/refresh, these two folders will automatically recreated for you.

This happens due to corrupted cache (so far I experienced this on window installations with Apache only), but I have given you a solution, lets see if this works, if it didn't then permissions need to be set correctly.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Usman Asar

by kishore kommireddy -

Hi Usman,

Sorry for the exasperating  you. I have deleted local cache and cache   in my moodledata folder but now I am facing another error as  " Data Base Connection Failed "

It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly.

The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php

Same database credentials are given in Config.php.  Why I got this error could you please through out of this issue.

Attachment DB Error in moodle.png

by Usman Asar -

Kishore, have you made any changes to the database? as in upgrading  it or changing permissions? or even changing PHP?

have you copied over the config.php file to new moodle 2.9 folder?

In reply to Usman Asar

by kishore kommireddy -

No Usman, Just I just copied previous config.php file in to my new version of moolde folder (2.9).In database also I am not done any changes. Even i am not changed db name and db user name and db password also.

by Usman Asar -

So essentially before upgrade, everything is working absolutely fine?

if its showing issues then try upgrading to next highest, i.e 2.7 and see if that works, if that  showed problems then have a look into permissions.

In reply to Usman Asar

by kishore kommireddy -

Thanks for quick around.Yes Usman ,previously it's working good. When I tried to upgrade with 2.9 then only I am facing this issues and i tried to upgrade 2.7 but it's working. May I know why it is coming.....

by Usman Asar -

If its working on 2.7, then should work on 2.9 as well, considering its a big jump may be something's not working as it should.

upgrade to 2.7 first, and then see if it can be upgraded to 2.9

but before that, are you using Apache or IIS Express?

on windows installation (if done automated through WPI), sometimes it asks for salt password (this may will be removed in future installations), see if your config file has salt password in it.

Also, like Emma mentioned (I must have missed that valid point though), why do you have to enter your database username and password again when updating? just copying over the config.php file inherits all the information that is required by moodle for installation so you dont need to provide information once again, only thing will be environment check and next buttons.

In reply to Usman Asar

by kishore kommireddy -

Hi Usman,

I did all the above things and my system configurations are  windows-7 operating system with 64bit , and Using XAMPP server 3.2.1.

In reply to Usman Asar

by kishore kommireddy -

Hi Usman,

I am facing one more problem with moodle, Is this scenario is possible in moodle..!

In moodle there is no auto email function to sent email to who haven't complete their course. If suppose in my organization having 200 students all are enrolled for COURSE 1,but attempted users are only 30 . But the remaining 20 people doesn't complete the mandatory test. Now I want to sent a mail to these 20 people automatically from moodle. I hope you can understand now. is this feature available in moodle otherwise we need to write code here, please do needful.

by Usman Asar -

Hello Kishore,

This I am afraid I have no idea of, as may be as I believe there is a plug-in for doing so, but again not sure about that, rather than asking for this in same post with old title, why not open a new post with title that matches your question, this way it would be read and answered by plenty others who may have overlooked this post by reading the subject line.

In reply to Usman Asar

by kishore kommireddy -

Thanks for your quick reply and sorry for posting same subject and once again thanks for given great

guidance .

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

But you stated at the beginning that you had to enter the database details when you upgraded - this means that that the install did not see your config.php file.  I would try recopying over your config.php file and making sure that the permissions are correct on it.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by kishore kommireddy -

Emma thanks for quick around .But I tried all the things wt you explained previously. But till I am having the same issue. Could you give the another solution.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Can you tell us exactly what you did, step by step, when you upgraded?  Also, what version of php are you running?  Can you look at the config.php file in your moodle folder and make sure that the details are correct?

by kishore kommireddy -

Hi Emma,

I fallowed these steps for upgrading.

-> First I copied new version of moodle folder into ht docs( renamed ).

-> Copied config.php file in to new moodle in (htdocs)folder with new DB details.

-> Browser cache cleared .

-> And my php version was 5.6.8.

-> And all DB credentials are verified all are same in my DB (php myadmin) as well as config.php file(in new moodle folder).

by Emma Richardson -

So did you create a new database for this installation?  Or is the database the same as your original installation?  Did you change the database details in config.php or leave them the same as they were for your original installation?  That part has me confused...

by kishore kommireddy -

No Emma, i am using previous one only I used here and previous db credentials are used in to new moodle config file.

by Usman Asar -

Now this term, "new database" is really creating confusion. But then 2.7 upgrade wouldn't have worked either.

Kishore, where are you upto now? I mean, have you managed to upgrade to 2.7 or still waiting to directly jump to 2.9?

In reply to Usman Asar

by kishore kommireddy -

Hi Usman ,

I am trying to configure 2.7 first then If it is success then I will go for 2.9.Till I am in  2.7 only

In reply to Usman Asar

by kishore kommireddy -

Usman,when I  am trying to re install 2.7 I got the DDL Sql Execution Error.Why I got these different errors in my system before I am doing this I removed all databases and freshly I created new DB with new data.Then also I got these errors.May I know why I got this error right now.

Attachment DDL Sql Exception.png

by Emma Richardson -

At this point, I suggest restoring from a backup (hopefully you have one...).  Go back to where everything was working - restore a backup of the old database - do not create a new database and import the data - just restore the old database that was working and then restore the old moodle and moodledata folders.  Get to where you are working and then try again. 

by kishore kommireddy -

Thanks Emma for your great support. Now I am going to do this and I will come back with good news .

by Usman Asar -

Kishore, that looks like some issue with your database. Like Emma said, restore your database from your first copy (unmodified).

If for some reason that is not available, and your moodle site wasn't big enough to be able to restart from scratch, then do that ideally, and use latest version moodle.

in case if you have developed courses that are long enough to be recreated, then take backups of courses and restore courses once your new moodle is ready.

In reply to Usman Asar

by kishore kommireddy -

Sure Usman , I will check and I will restore my database as well .Thanks for your support .