Restricting attempts on a quiz after passing?

Restricting attempts on a quiz after passing?

by Rahul S -
Number of replies: 8

I have 2 quizzes set up so far and you need to get a score of 80/100 to pass them. Right now I have my quiz set to unlimited attempts but I wanted to know if it was possible to stop the students who earned a passing score from taking the quiz again, while allowing the students who did not earn a passing score to take it as many times as they need to pass it. Is there a way to do that? In other words, locking the quiz to the people who passed, and leaving it open to those who didn't. Also, I was wondering if there was a way to get rid of the "Summary of Attempts" page after a quiz is taken, since it seems superfluous to me. Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rahul S

Re: Restricting attempts on a quiz after passing?

by Rahul S -

Does  anyone know  anything about this? This is a really important aspect of the classes I am creating so I could use some help.

Thank you

In reply to Rahul S

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Rahul,

The only way I can think of to do what you want, will make the grades so that the teacher will still be able to see them, but not the students once they score 80 or higher. If that's okay, here's how.

Put each quiz in it's own topic. Edit the topic and set Access restrictions like in this picture:

The only difference in the settings for the second topic is to be sure and select the name of the second quiz.

Just remember, once a student scores higher than 80, the quizzes will disappear for them with a warning of Not available unless: You do not get certain scores in Quiz 1.

Sorry, don't know any way to hide the Summary of Attempts.

HTH,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Actually, more recent versions of Moodle have an option to consider the quiz complete once a passing grade has been reached. Then you can hide the section when the quiz is complete.

However, whenever I see this question (and it has come up before) I completely fail to get the point. What are we scared of? That the student may do too much studying? That they might learn more than they are supposed to?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rahul S -

Al,

thank you for your input, but unfortunately that will not be able to suffice, since I have strict instructions I need to follow. I  do appreciate your advice.

Tim,

I am in a special scenario here. I am creating this moodle page for my employer, and once a student passes, they are assigned a grade (95-100 -- A, 85-94.99 -- B, 80 - 84.99 -- C and 0 - 79.99 -- F) based on 80% being the passing grade. If a student has an A average, (all of their combined quiz avgs are over 95) they get special pay compensations and other rewards, while the lower tiers don't. If the quiz had unlimited attempts for those who pass, everyone would get these benefits, making the benefits useless. But we do want the people who have failed, to at least pass. Does it make more  sense now? I am not the typical example, but my boss wants it done this way. Would you mind explaining how to consider a quiz "complete" and thereby close it, once a student scores over an 80? Hope that makes things more clear. I am also using moodle 2.8.5 so I do hope it has this functionality you speak of.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Dianellys Juarbe -

In my case, my quiz consist of 100 questions with a 3 hour limit, for an accountant to pass some credit hours. The quiz has 2 attemps but I do want to restrict access if user passed the quiz on first attempt.  Why? because i want to avoid them of taking screen shots of the questions and passed them on to other users.