Quiz Notify Grader - Get Notification When Submitted - Notifies ALL teachers

Quiz Notify Grader - Get Notification When Submitted - Notifies ALL teachers

by Ian McLean -
Number of replies: 13
Moodle: 2.8.5
G'day All,

This is doing my head in. It's happening in all quiz, in all courses throughout the site.

We use groups.  Most groups have at least 1 teacher in them and multiple students.

If a student in 'Group1' submits a quiz ALL teachers (in same group, different group or no group) get the notification email.

How do we sort it so that only the teacher in that group gets the notification email?
-----------
Additional information -> Permissions:
We have tried this with the quiz permissions and the course permissions for the quiz.

If you need more info or questions answered please let me know and thankyou in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian McLean

Re: Quiz Notify Grader - Get Notification When Submitted - Notifies ALL teachers

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you remove the View All Groups permission, this should limit teachers just to the groups that they belong to.  This will be a site setting - I normally make a Group Facilitator Role and use that instead of messing with the default teacher role.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Quiz Notify Grader - Get Notification When Submitted - Notifies ALL teachers

by Ian McLean -

OMG Emma Thank you will you marry me?

It worked just fine. I truelly do not understand how this would work in that manner but it did.

Downside:

Now students who are not in a group don't initiate an email to anyone about their attempt but that's ok. We can live with that.

We aquired this system and have no authority to modify it in a manner as you mentioned above that you do.  

We don't get to make those decisions, we didn't get to set it up from scratch we just get lumped with these issues and have to work out how to do it smile

Thanks to you we've done that now smile Thanks Emma !!!!! Look...happy emoticons: ---> smile smile smile smile smile smile

In reply to Ian McLean

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Lol - no wedding but happy to help!!  wink

Separate groups are designed to work just like that but the teacher role can see all groups so basically overrides the setting.  When you remove their ability to access all groups, they are confined to the group they are in and can only work with the students listed there.  

Oh, by the way, if you can edit permissions, you should be able to add a new role too.  At the bottom of Define Roles page under Admin Settings/Permissions that should be an Add A New Role button.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ian McLean -

G'day again smile

Thanks for that extra info too. Helpful.

It's not that we can't physically create a new role. It's that we've been given this system and aren't allowed to.

We are however allowed to, (because we have to) , run around changing role, category, course and activity settings/permissions. angry

Thanks Emma !!!! smile

by Ian McLean -

*gasp*

Turns out this setting also somehow interferes with the Reports  >Course Completion.

Now the trainers cannot see it and get an error of:
Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (Access all groups)
More information about this error

("More information about this error" is a weblink with limited information.

Any ideas on fixing that one Emma?

In reply to Ian McLean

by Emma Richardson -

They should be able to see that report.  Just tested on my site and it works fine.  They are in the course when they try to access it, right?

by Ian McLean -

G'day Emma,

Yes the staff are enrolled in the course. I am wondering at this stage, after some internal discussions this morning if it's a permissions thing. I won't get a chance to look at it until the end of the day or maybe even tomorrow.

I have assumed it's an issue caused by me just yesterday turning off the 'allow' for access all groups.  It may be unrelated. smile  (idk why I didn't think of permissions sooner)

In reply to Ian McLean

by Emma Richardson -

It is strange - that error is normally related to the groups permission but on my site the completion report is also just filtered to the group that they are in so it is respecting the separate groups setting and applying it. 

This error normally occurs if they are trying to access a site wide report and not a course level report.  Can they access the activities completion report?

by Ian McLean -

G'day Emma (and anyone else reading),

Sorry for the delay I was busy sorting out end-dates manually for all students in all courses :'(

Today I was forced to revisit this because someone else had gone and turned on 'access all groups' after i have turned it off.

I may have found a resolution that suits our needs (but may not suit all peoples needs)

We have Manager, Teacher, Non-editing Teacher, Student and Administrator-1 as roles.

Current status:

Manager, Teacher and Non-editing-teacher each had 'Access All Groups' turned off as a role setting.

(Manager and Administrator-1 are assigned at the root of the moodle system...Student, Teacher and Non-editing-teacher are assigned on the course level)

To compliment this I had edited the course permissions for 'notifications' for assignment, quiz, overdue and anything else so that only Teacher and Non-editing-teacher were listed.

This did the perfect job of only sending email notifications to Teacher and Non-editing-teacher, IF they were in the group (this is the part where I asked you to marry me).

Now that Administator-1 users could not see the completion report. Manger could. (this is the part were someone else thought they'd 'fix' the issue by turning allow-access back on (now off again)

Finally looking into permissions of each course there is a 'Access All groups' permission where Manager is listed and Administrator-1 isn't.

Adding Administrator-1 to this 'Access All Groups' permission (as allow) now allows the Administor-1 staff to see the full Course Completion.

No Administrator-1 staff need to be enrolled in the unit let-alone any groups which in turn should resolve them getting notifications (which COULD be a side-effect of me turning that permission on in the course.....)

...Now I sit and wait for complaints to roll on in if I am wrong ;)

I'd love to know if you think this sounds theoretically sound though.

Thanks, Ian

In reply to Ian McLean

by Emma Richardson -

It sounds like that should work.  Alternatively, if you enrolled Administrator-1 or Manager into the course, that might have the same affect.  Not sure, would need playing with.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you...!

by Ian McLean -

G'day Emma smile

I realise it's been near 2 weeks since your last reply.

Other people stepped in and undid my work and efforts and many other unrelated tasks needed doing.

I have been given the go-ahead to sort out *all* the permissions for courses and roles, this starts tomorrow and at some stage in the near future a pile of new courses will be added.

Here's to hoping that the messes my undereducated descissions make are smaller more containable messes.

In looking into this I have noticed that categories contain a lot of the same permissions. Would one be correct in setting up all the course permissions that far down the 'tree' and remove all entries in the permissions of the course.

THUS: Allowing 1 change at a lower level to then flow upward into the higher level of the course (and then only changing a permission in a course where it is required to do so because that course is the exception not the norm).

I see all our courses being the norm and none being the exception.

In reply to Ian McLean

by Emma Richardson -

I have to say that I actually NEVER mess with permissions at the course or category level, only the user level and occasionally the activity level.

Especially if you say that all your courses run the same, it is much cleaner to create new user roles with the appropriate permissions than to mess with stuff at the course level.  Then you always have the role available rather than having to remember which course has which permissions and which ones you want to copy to a new course etc.

I can see the argument though for the category level if there is some reason that you have to change permissions on the courses themselves.

by Ian McLean -

I appreciate that information. As the common in life and work I would be the same.

I'm unsure when or how the permissions in our courses got how they are but now I have an opportunity to rectify it now and in the future.

The main permissions changes in the course level we have been doing is removing roles from "notifications" to prevent certain staff roles and also student roles from getting notitifications.

At this stage, even when 'access all groups' is turned off the students in the group get notifications that the students in the group have submitted quiz and assignments.

All of this gives me a great reason for pushing Moodle PD for me at work. 'If I had the training I needed we could have sorted it out sooner and better' ;)

I will leave this post on track the best I can from now on and any deviations (as with my last post) I will put in new posts smile

You've been great and awesome and great too ;)