HEADS UP: Moodle 2.9 and minor versions coming next week

HEADS UP: Moodle 2.9 and minor versions coming next week

by Marina Glancy -
Number of replies: 44
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This is a reminder that the scheduled release date of 2.9 is next Monday. We will also be releasing Moodle 2.8.6, 2.7.8 and 2.6.11.

Note that after that the 2.7 branch will be supported for security fixes only and 2.6 will no longer be supported.

See the General release calendar for upcoming release dates.

Marina Glancy
Development Process Manager, Moodle HQ

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Marina Glancy

Re: HEADS UP: Moodle 2.9 and minor versions coming next week

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Query - If 2.7 is going to security fixes only, in the same time scales as every other point version, what was the benefit of labelling it as LTS?

Surely a LTS version should be supproted for more than just security upgrades for longer than a standard version (as well as maintaining the security upgrades for longer). Surely the whole point is that it should be supported as a 'live' version for 'long term'?

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

When Moodle 2.7 was announced one year ago, it was clearly stated it was LTS "for security and data loss bug fixes for 3 years". Means only for security and data loss. Support dates are also clearly on the releases page.

Of course, i understand one would want a complete LTS support.

As always, it's a matter of where to put efforts and (limited) ressources. Perhaps HQ will try to make an effort by making 6 or 12 more months complete support (the double as standard support, like for security)...

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Moodle 2.7 is still LTS. See:
===
Bug fixes for general core bugs in 2.8.x will end 9 November 2015 (12 months).
Bug fixes for serious security issues in 2.8.x will end 9 May 2016 (18 months).

Bug fixes for general core bugs in 2.7.x will end 11 May 2015 (12 months).
Bug fixes for serious security issues in 2.7.x will end 8 May 2017 (36 months).
=== https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Releases ===

The difference is in the second line!
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Rex Lorenzo -

Yeah, we understand that LTS was primarily just for serious bug fixes, but it would have been nice to have the bug fixes for general core bugs scale along the serious bugs. For example, 18 -> 36 months, so something similar should be 12 -> 24 months.

In reply to Rex Lorenzo

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

A lot of things would be nice but unfortunately not all are possible.   In this case we need to distribute our resources wisely among old versions and new versions.

I think we made it very clear when 2.7 was released what Long Term Support means, and while we of course want to make your life easier by offering this, we also have to push Moodle forward for the long term.

While I'm here I can assure you that 3.0 is also planned to be a LTS release.

Average of ratings: Useful (10)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Nigel Owen -

Hi, Will there be any pattern to the LTS releases? I.e. Will it be every odd numbered release or every third release...

In reply to Nigel Owen

by Marina Glancy -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, it sounds like a good plan to make every third release LTS. I don't promise it yet but it is definitely worth considering.
This is how the release schedule looks now:

It gives enough time for users to upgrade from one LTS release to the next one
Average of ratings: Useful (5)

by Danny Wahl -

I would actually consider every 4th release being long term for synchronicity (is that a word?) with the standard school year.  If some LTSs are released in November and some in May it might prove difficult for a standard, scheduled, upgrade path.  I don't particularly care which one is the standard, just that there is a standard.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Samuel Witzig -

I would also prefer a LTS version every 4th release. This would allow to upgrade Moodle every 2 years to a new major version, which is quite useful for a large Moodle installation like we have.

Anyway, I am very, very glad that the HQ has started with LTS releases last year (with Moodle 2.7) and would like to thank the HQ for that very much!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Danny Wahl

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Making every 4th version an LTS edition makes sense to me. This would:

• Make the next LTS release Moodle 3.1 instead of 3.0 (everyone knows that version x.0 usually contains the most bugs)
  • Be easier to plan upgrades if they happened at the same time every second year
  • Be less confusing than telling them that sometimes the LTS release will be in the spring and other times it will be in the fall.
  • Be easier for Moodle HQ to manage the less frequent LTS

However, I would also like to see the bug fix support period extended to at least 18 months, preferably 24 months. 12 months just isn't enough time to report issues and have them fixed within the same version of Moodle.

In my experience with Moodle Tracker, the process typically takes 4-8 months or more to get an issue resolved and integrated, even when the solution is provided. If you don't want to extend the period, additional effort needs to be made by Moodle HQ to shorten the turn around cycle for approving bug fixes and integrating them into Moodle.

I don't know about everyone else but we also don't start working with a new release the moment it comes out. We have to wait until 3rd party plugin developers get around to updating their code for the new Moodle version before we can begin to find issues and fix them. That alone usually takes about 6 months. X.0 versions are never a good release to go with anyway as many issues are often resolved between launch day and the x.1 release.

If the process of addressing bugs takes so long that you don't have time to integrate fixes into the LTS release, what's the point?

Security fix support is fine at 36 months.

That said, we do really appreciate Moodle HQ in making LTS versions available. I've noticed that this encourages developers to focus on that release, and even for people to feel like they have time to write books about that release. Our clients also appreciate the stability and savings from not having to upgrade as frequently with these releases. Thank you Moodle HQ!

Best regards,

Michael Milette

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Michael Milette

by Damyon Wiese -
Just noting that 3.0 is just Moodle 2.9 + 0.1 - there is nothing special about the number that makes it better or worse as an LTS candidate.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Derek Chirnside -

Damyon, perception is (generally) reality.

You can say this a lot (3.0 is 'nothing special'), but people will think otherwise.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

Moodle version strategy

LTS
---
Moodle LTS has been discussed intensively, for example, "Reflections and Musings on Moodle 2.7" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=260507 exactly a year ago. But keeps coming up. Apparently the subject is not closed for many. My impression is that the academia is slow to adapt. i.e. prefers slower (LTS) cycles (two years max.) and "real" LTS (maintained min. four years). The commercial sector wants faster cycles, is happy with the present two major releases a year. [This is the root cause of the problem of the academia. At the rate of two major releases a year, the number of versions to be maintained becomes huge. No point in talking about this. HQ is commited to that, so may it be.]

The present LTS plan is a major relief for the slow adapters. I second the suggestion of LTS every two years and if possible extend their life time to four years. (Ubuntu, the inventer of this model, support their LTS five years: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS.)

---
It is a big relief to hear that 3.0 is just 2.10 - unlike the earth quake 2.0. (My reconstruction work went until 2.5. The lease 1.9 gave, extending its life time year by year, was a life saver.) Still, as others have mentioned, the major-major version has a psychological effect. But then, that is not my field. ;)
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Robert Brenstein -
Indeed 3.0 implies that it is a third generation of Moodle. Although the versioning systems used by many developers do not always follow this logic, it is still embedded in thinking of most users.

If 3.0 is really 2.10 why not call it 2.10 and leave 3.0 for a version that will bring a jump like what 2.0 did?
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

"If 3.0 is really 2.10 why not call it 2.10 and leave 3.0 for a version that will bring a jump like what 2.0 did?"

A good idea, but this was probably in the plan when v2.0 was released. Essentially, the current version plan can actually monster the devs. Having full version support then it is downgraded to security support only then no support comes much too quickly, I suspect. With the models above, it really makes it more desirable to just stick with the LTS versions, as long as people which versions they are. 

Above, Visvanath makes the comment that suggests academia is slow to adapt, but I am not sure if that is correct, more likely funding is the issue here. Why the commercial sector would want 2 versions a year is beyond me. I would suggest they would prefer a longer cycle, as long as they get regular updates. It's like being on the edge of a wave, and you can either stay there, or you can get swamped too easily. Most organizations IT guys are already overworked, well, those I have seen anyway and those who use Moodle is one of the reasons they are. Funnily enough, one guy I spoke to told me he was really looking forward to having new versions every few months or so, is now saying they have backed off it, and are only going to upgrade once a year. Just got too much for them. 

Another problem I have seen is one of the organizations I have been dealing with has parts of it on v2.7, others are on v2.8. No idea why they have done this, but I have the feeling it is going to get seriously messy if they don't remedy it. (I have not been able to talk to the network manager so have no explanation for how this happened or why, it was only by luck that I noticed it.)  

In reply to Colin Fraser

Colin

>> If 3.0 is really 2.10 why not call it 2.10 and leave 3.0 for a version that will bring a jump like what 2.0 did?
>
> A good idea, but this was probably in the plan when v2.0 was released.

I doubt it. The LTS definitely came later, as well as the de facto LTS status of 1.9.

> Essentially, the current version plan can actually monster the devs.

That is the whole problem. Two major version per year! Too late to talk about that (and was never early enough).

> Having full version support then it is downgraded to security support only then no support comes much too quickly,

Who says what an LTS is? The definition of the Ubuntu people is, an LTS every two years, fully supported for five years. For Moodle, an LTS every 18 months (suggested) bug fixes 1 year, security bugs 3 years total.

> I suspect. With the models above, it really makes it more desirable to just stick with the LTS versions, as long as people which versions they are.

For you (and me) perhaps.

> Above, Visvanath makes the comment that suggests academia is slow to adapt, but I am not sure if that is correct, more likely funding is the issue here.

I felt that it was a dangerous generalization. Well, each has his own view. Mine is that the traditional school teachers have set up their courses in a blended setting: static information, administration on-line, interaction in the face-to-face classroom. They don't want that system be disturbed - whether Moodle 1 or 10! Then there is this private enterprise which sells courses to be taught to a younger crowd. What they see on Facebook today must be on Moodle tomorrow!

Whatever, it really doesn't matter who are the early adapters and who not, the fact is that there are always both.

> Why the commercial sector would want 2 versions a year is beyond me.

Then why people camp overnight to grab when model 6 comes out (and did the same with model 5)? Why people scream when leopard replaces the tiger?
;-P

> I would suggest they would prefer a longer cycle, as long as they get regular updates. It's like being on the edge of a wave, and you can either stay there, or you can get swamped too easily. Most organizations IT guys are already overworked, well, those I have seen anyway and those who use Moodle is one of the reasons they are. Funnily enough, one guy I spoke to told me he was really looking forward to having new versions every few months or so, is now saying they have backed off it, and are only going to upgrade once a year. Just got too much for them.

Your view! There are others who find the latest the shyniest (as if software wears out).

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

"Above, Visvanath makes the comment that suggests academia is slow to adapt, but I am not sure if that is correct, more likely funding is the issue here."

"I felt that it was a dangerous generalization."

Dangerous? mmmm a generalization perhaps but the Moodles I know are all in public schools. Private schools are more likely to be using a proprietorial LMS. In this country funding to public education has been cut. Oz is one of the few nations that contribute public funding to private schools, and a substantial amount that is as well, I have not heard any screams coming from the private schools about funding cuts. Money is always an issue. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

Hi Colin

Cutting public funding? Isn't that quite common after the Reagan+Thatcher era and sometimes called neo-liberalism? That topic would take us off on a wide tangent!

But if you say that is the reason why academia is slow to adapt, that doen't collide with my statement "academia is slow to adapt". My point was though, that the present Moodle version march is made for the bleeding edge, the slow adopters suffer.

by Derek Chirnside -

In my experience, it is not the academics it is

1. The IT department.  Inherently change resistant.
  2. Plugin version catchup problems.
  3. Issues like Atto functonality (file systems, themes): regressions/bugs or a feature and a design intention, depending on what side of the fence you are on.

my 2c.  I've been interested to read Martin's comments on the Association.  They are having key stakeholder conversations now.

-Derek

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Remember the tracker has thousands of requests for new features that require database and platform changes, and these can only be made real in new releases.

So while perhaps some administrators would like their Moodle world to stay still there is also a lot of pressure on us for rapid evolution.  Moodle needs to balance these desires.

Hi Martin

It is not only the system adminstrator, the teachers are concerned that upgrade will change something. I can't blame them!
wink

The request is not one-way, it is an exchange:
> Making every 4th version an LTS edition makes sense to me. This would:
> [...]
> However, I would also like to see the bug fix support period extended to at least 18 months, preferably 24 months.
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=313040#p1255676

i.e. to extend the bug fix support in exchange for slower LTS cycles.

As an example, 2.7 (LTS) just lost the YouTube repository: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-50176. (2.8 and 2.9 get the bug fix but 2.7 doesn't.)
In reply to Robert Brenstein

Hi Robert

You asked:
> If 3.0 is really 2.10 why not call it 2.10

Because people will think 2.10 is older than 2.2! (numeric and string-numeric sort)
;-P

> and leave 3.0 for a version that will bring a jump like what 2.0 did?

I hope that lies far, very far, in the future.

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

There was lot of changes between 1.9 and 2.0, which made the upgrade difficult for lot of people, and the goal is to avoid doing that again !

Séverin

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It seems clear to me that Version 3.0 will be 1 more betterer than 2.9 smile

In reply to Marcus Green

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Should that be 0.1 'more betterer'? smile

Do we need to wait for 3.9 to be a whole '1' better?

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

The Joomla folks did something 'different' when moving from their 1.5 to 1.6/7 to newer (2 version) ... they purposely said 2.5 ... not 2.0.  They then had to have a few web pages explaining + tolerate comments in forums.  It was, for those who had been using Joomla for a while, confusing for many.  Not going to please everyone.   Just as long as the upgrade process worked and there were no issues, then no complaints.

Unfortunately, if, in the past, a version was released that really wasn't ready for release and folks had issues ... damage done ... users naturally more cautious the next time.  So, the old M$ strategy of waiting for SP1 or SP2 not such a bad idea for some.  Let others be the 'omicron testers'. ;)

My 2 cents, of course!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Dang you and your powers of numeracy Mr Olemann.

by Rex Lorenzo -

Anyone from Moodle HQ going to respond to Michael Milette's proposal? I hope that the LTS plan is not set in stone.

He makes some very good points and I believe are worth addressing. Both in having a consistent release period for an LTS version and the increased support for general bug fixes.

In reply to Rex Lorenzo

by Martin Dougiamas -

I can see some logic in making the LTS releases on a regular two year period so people can plan around them.  So that would mean 3.1 is an LTS.   This regular schedule (May every two years) works out probably better for the north hemisphere though ... the south hemisphere would be more or less forced to upgrade annually to stay on a supported LTS, which kinds defeats the purpose.

On the other hand, it's good to have the freedom to plan these LTS releases around releases that have reached a certain "plateau" of features.  Sometimes we have core features integrated to stimulate more development that do not have full implementation in all core modules (eg logging/events).  And it's a shame to have one of those be a LTS release and actively be encouraging people to stay there for years.  In fact 3.1 would be better than 3.0 from this perspective too, given the new learning plan stuff coming in.

People keep mentioning Ubuntu as a model but I think it's a completely different type of platform with very gradual refinements.  We need to think what's best for Moodle.

The slower LTS cycle must come together with a longer support period! The suggestion is: "the bug fix support period extended to at least 18 months, preferably 24 months" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=313040#p1255676.

Sure, Ubuntu is a different type of platform. The point was, they were the first (in the popular Open Source projects) to come up with the now well-known calender-based version cycle. That was in January 2004 with Ubuntu 4.10 , incidentally also in a 6 month cycle. Moodle joined only after July 2012, with the generation change to 2. The first Ubuntu LTS was 6.06, June (delayed) 2006. The first official Moodle LTS 2.7 came out in May 2014. During those 10 years many others have joined the calender-based model.

by Marina Glancy -

I can see that from the users' perspective round number of years between LTS releases is more preferable. However what really worries me here is that people will upgrade too rare and Moodle will encourage it by introducing regular LTS releases. Our deprecation policy is not designed for rare plugins upgrades. (And if institution does not have any plugins there is no need to delay upgrading at all.)

For example, if some functionality is deprecated in 2.8, it still continues to work but with debugging messages displayed. Developers have two cycles (2.8 and 2.9) to spot that their plugins use deprecated methods and upgrade them. In 3.0 the functionality that was deprecated in 2.8 is completely removed. After that plugin can not use deprecated methods at all.

If institution upgrades from 2.7 straight to 3.0 or 3.1, they skip this warning period completely and upgrading will be much more difficult, and it's more likely that students or teachers will hit exceptions on production sites.

As much as we would like our users to keep their sites secure and receive security updates for longer, we don't want to encourage to delay upgrading because of regular LTS if they otherwise would not delay it.

Please note, that at the moment I express my personal view and this is not an official HQ response. We are still discussing it and collecting opinions

> However what really worries me here is that people will upgrade too rare and Moodle will encourage it by introducing regular LTS releases.

Back to square one!
- "6 month release cycle and update policy" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=173828 (2011)
- "Moodle support period: Long term version?" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=223086 (2013)
- "HEADS UP: Moodle 2.9 and minor versions coming next week" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=313040 (2015)
sad

What is the problem you have with "rare upgrades"? Haven't you noticed that there isn't a single voice in this thread for two major versions per year? Who wants them?

by Dave Balch -

My group upgrades once a year, with alternate major releases - 2.7, 2.9, etc. - upgrading over summer.

However I can see the value in two major releases per year, as not everyone will be running the same upgrade schedule as us - e.g. an Australian institution might want to upgrade over their summer break in December-January.

In reply to Dave Balch

Hi Dave

What you are saying is that in the nothern hemisphere people will go along odd versions whereas in the southern hemisphere people will take the even versions (or the other way)?

In my understanding that is stlll one upgrade per year, in each part. HQ is just producing two things, i.e. working double.

by Dave Balch -
Pretty much. I don't know that to be the case, but it seems a reasonable possibility.

The reason that this would still need two releases per year is tied to:
  1.     the precise timing of releases and upgrade opportunities,
  2.     how keen to get new features/reluctant to change their setup the institution is,
  3.     how long a release is supported for.
...so if there were just one release per year, by the time a new version is released - and the institution is ready to deploy it - their current one may already be unsupported.
In reply to Dave Balch

Could be. But we are not talking about the regular versions (2.7, 2.8, 2.9, ...), the question is about the LTS versions. Whether they should come out every 18 months or every 24 months. (Naturally then the support duration need to be increased.)

by Martin Dougiamas -

Yes, the reason for our six-monthly releases is explicitly to cater for both hemispheres.  Down here our school year follows the calendar one, you know!  smile

Obviously we'd love it if everyone upgraded every six months but don't worry we're very well aware this is not often possible.

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

... the reason for our six-monthly releases is explicitly to cater for both hemispheres.  Down here our school year follows the calendar one, you know!  smile

Didn't realize that, Martin.  It means all those opposed to six monthly releases should be labeled as "hemispherists"!  big grin

by Marina Glancy -

This does not exactly contradict with what I said above. There can be different solutions to the fact that regular LTS (=more rare sites updates) do not go well together with our release and deprecation process. The easiest would be to change the deprecation time.

Believe me, lots of people want two major versions per year. In order to prevent unwanted regressions in stable version, Moodle only integrates improvements into the future major releases. So many times I've heard complains why can't users enjoy new feature straight away and have to wait for several months until the next release.  Those people will be greatly disappointed if we make major releases once a year instead of twice. In fact, download.moodle.org has thousands downloads on the day of release!

And also, don't forget that forums always have more complains that praises. If somebody agrees with how things are, they don't follow the threads and don't comment there.

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Marina Glancy -

Hi Mark, Cambridge being in Northern hemisphere and you call June-August the summer, the first time when security issues are announced but not included in 2.8 will be July 2016. Until mid-July 2016 you are protected from hackers who are trying to exploit security vulnerabilities just as well as if you are using 2.7. I also assume that you upgrade your Moodle on the day of release of minor versions, even in the middle of summer break, because otherwise there would be even less difference for you.

Also, if you upgrade every summer, our normal 18-months support cycle works great for you since you can upgrade to 3.1, 3.3, and so on and enjoy not only security fixes but also general bug fixes during the whole year. 

And the fact that you say that you will prefer to upgrade to 3.0 "because it's LTS" means that you will stay behind even when you don't need to. And it also proves my point above that we unconsciously keep users behind by introducing regular LTS.

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Hallo Mark

I don't think, I understood your situation. (Yes, lot of math!)

Let me try: Initially you intended to upgrade along the LTS versions. The result was that you had exactly one upgrade path. After discussing here you've realized that you are better off, if you do not limit yourself to LTS versions. And that is what you are going to do. Am I right?

In that case the request we are discussing is not relevant to you (any more). We are still discussing LTS:
> Making every 4th version an LTS edition makes sense to me.
> [...]
> However, I would also like to see the bug fix support period extended to at least 18 months, preferably 24 months.
Michael Milette https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=313040#p1255676