Sending message to all participants has a usability problem

Sending message to all participants has a usability problem

by anna ko -
Number of replies: 5

When teacher wants to send a message to all course members, he has to go to Participants List (here a demo example: http://school.demo.moodle.net/user/index.php?id=41), go bottom to the end of the list and press "Select all" button.

If the users list is long - it's placed on more then one page, but "Select all" button affects only those who appear on the page (image attached).

It might mislead the users, and make them mistakenly send the message to only part of users (only those who appears at first page when Participants List divided into pages).

Don't you think?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to anna ko

Re: Sending message to all participants has a usability problem

by Mike Verna -

Hi Anna,

Look at the example you posted.

Right below the search box an the bottom it says "Show all 31", if you click on that all the members in that course site will show up.

In reply to Mike Verna

by anna ko -

Mike

i saw it ;) 

It doesn't solve the usability problem i spoke about, also it does make it a bit smaller..

In reply to anna ko

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think we should, first, fix the translation to "Send to all selected users on the page". or something similar.

In reply to anna ko

by Stuart Lamour -
Picture of Plugin developers

That separation between the pagination and the information about how many are shown / show all functionality could do with a bit of usability love.

in context

Looking at other online examples of pagination with the ability to show all, grouping the show all to be in the same visual space as the pagination seems to be a better pattern.

pagination from topshop
Example of pagination from popular online clothing store.

In reply to Stuart Lamour

by Atul Shetty -

I agree with Anna and Stuarts suggestion is good. A small tweak like moving the "Show all link over the search field" and making the text bold would easily rectify the issue IMO> I also interested in knowing if there are any on going discussion that talk about usability challenges in Moodle (I have a lot to say on this topic :D)