Course Restore in Moodle 2.5 Timing Out

Course Restore in Moodle 2.5 Timing Out

by Roger Eveland -
Number of replies: 2

Greetings all!

We're running Moodle 2.5 on Windows Server 2008, IIS 7.5, SQL Server 2008

A couple of days ago we started getting an Error 500 "The FastCGI process exceeded configured request timeout" when attempting to restore courses.  We've previously had no issues with restoring courses, and haven't made any changes to our environment, so we're pretty confused!

It happens on courses of all size, even when we attempt to just import a tiny fraction of the course.

I've spent the last couple of days browsing this forum and trying suggestions to fix this problem. Here's what I've tried so far:

Increased the Maximum POST size to 200M
Increased the Maximum Upload to 200M
Increased Maximum Execution Time to 300
Increased Maximum Input Time to 600
Increased Memory Limit to 900M
Increased FastCGI Activity Timeout to 600

I'm not sure what else to try, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Roger Eveland

Re: Course Restore in Moodle 2.5 Timing Out

by Lukasz Czyzewski -

Hello everyone!

Roger, I think I've got the same situation:

I'm running a fresh install of Moodle 2.8 on Windows Server 2012 (IIS 8, PHP 5.6.8) and SQL Server 2012.

When I try to restore a course backup (122MB) from Moodle 2.5 I get internal server error.

When I'm using MOOSH (command line utility) restore never stops.

When I open .MBZ and remove "files” folder, restore ends successfully  under a minute (without files, of course).

My server configuration looks almost like yours.

Can anyone help?

Is there a way to delete "files” folder from backup, restore it, copy course files manually to the new server and then add missing records to the db?

Best regards, lucas.

In reply to Roger Eveland

Re: Course Restore in Moodle 2.5 Timing Out

by Lukasz Czyzewski -

Hello Roger!

I've managed to restore my course.

My way is both sad and funny but worked for me.

I installed the newest Debian (Jessie) on a test server, set up Apache, PHP and Mysql, installed newest Moodle 2.8 and restored my course using Moosh.

Since I've got about 120 "problematic” courses from two moodle installation (I want to merge these two Moodle sites) and about 500 "non-problematic” - I figured out that I will restore them in linux environment and then try to convert DB to MSSQL and go back to windows server, IIS and SQL Server 2012.

Good luck in your moodling!

Lucas.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)