Read and sign

Read and sign

by Rata . -
Number of replies: 16

Hi,

I am using Moodle 2.4 and cannot find any appropriate solution for read and sign feature that can track a grade or performance.

The alternative I am using today is scorm that contains an option to read and agree by signing a statement (by select a tick and click on confirm button). The scorm transmits the grade 100 into moodle course.

The big problem the users face is that sometimes the scorm file does not display (flash or browser problem).

I found that assignment activity has an option to require student to sign and accept the submission statement. But it has features that irrelevant like "save setting" and file upload.

Does anyone use different way or know of a plugin to display text or file and require the user to read it and agree/sign a statement ?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rata .

Re: Read and sign

by dawn alderson -

Rata, morning

I am confused, I am not getting the message in your post, sorry about that.

1. Statement of declaration=simple doc with email signature

2. why do you need to track this doc?

3. How are you seeing both being linked and why?

4. what on earth are you scoring?

sorry-I am unclear, but would like to understand and help if I can. 

In reply to dawn alderson

by Rata . -

Hi Dawn,

Thank you for your reply.

As a part of moodle course, users required to read a PDF or DOC file and afterwards they should sign/agree on a statement.

Today, for the statement we use scorm activity which transmit a grade of 100 to moodle course after the statement was signed by the user

1. Statement of declaration=simple doc with email signature -

We don't use emails signature for declaration. We manage it within moodle grade report as mentioned above.

2. why do you need to track this doc?

-- Usually these materials are mandatory and users are obligated to read and sign it, therefore we must to monitor users' performance.

3. How are you seeing both being linked and why?

I didn't understand the question...

4. What on earth are you scoring?

-- We use a scorm file that send the score 100, when user submit the statement.

In reply to Rata .

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes - it would help if you took a step back and told us what you are trying to achieve. Moodle has a facility to show (and require confirmed) a statement for the whole site on first use and Assignment has a declaration that must be ticked. 

Using Conditional_activities there are all sorts of things you could do.

I have to say that whenever I hear anything like this my first reaction is, "what exactly is the point?". 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Rata . -

Dear Howard Miller,

Kindly read my answer to dawn alderson.

"..a statement for the whole site on first use and Assignment has a declaration that must be ticked."

--We are looking for singing on a statement as a single activity within a course site and not for the whole site.

also we have checked the Assignment declaration but all user interface (buttons, instructions etc.)  and features are Assignment  oriented and may confuse the user.

In reply to Rata .

by Floyd Saner -

Rata,

What I've done in cases like this is to create a separate quiz activity, but label it "Verification".  The quiz is a simple question or statement - "I have read document ....."   The answer can be True/False or multiple choice (Yes/No).  True/Yes = 100%; False/No = 0%

You can also do the same with a Moodle Lesson - your text is a Lesson page, and the statement/verification is a Lesson quiz - the text and the quiz become integrated into the Lesson.

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

by Rata . -

Hello Floyd Saner,

We have used a statement as a quiz activity. unfortunately users tended to confuse because the user interface of the quiz (buttons, instructions etc.) and features are quiz oriented.

We checked the lesson activity. It is close to our needs but we could not find an option for question type that contains check box that must be ticked as a declaration.

Any ideas?

In reply to Rata .

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Maybe it's time to explore integrating Moodle with something like Google Docs?

The link to the Google response form in Moodle is tracked in Moodle and a required activity to complete before moving forward in a course.    A hidden (not viewable) Google link to the spreadsheet for responses is available to teacher of the course right below the link to the Google response form.

Students do NOT have to have Google accounts to complete the form.   Teacher does NOT have to invite users ... if the form is shared  with permissions 'anyone who has the link' ... 'anyone' in this case is really 'anyone' coming from your course/Moodle server.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

So are you saying you need to have this signing on graded? Because I still think the Choice activity would be the simplest (unless I have misunderstood you, for which I apologise) and it can easily be tracked by using Activity completion -but no grade of course.

In reply to Ken Task

by Itamar Tzadok -

You can achieve the same effect with the Dataform module with the advantage that it is Moodle internal with completion tracking, grading, access restriction etc. smile

In reply to Ken Task

by dawn alderson -

Hi,

how about trying the quiz-maybe?

Ken, my question = why not?

Mary, hi....I don't know if you are joking, if so I do think it is funny, and I like your sense of humour-you have made me laugh loudly big grin and others too :0)

So, thank you.  I am referring to your joke here:

Choice activity with only one choice Choice ?  

According to my 9 year old son-he reckons a choice includes more than one thing....otherwise there is not a choice...with just one thing. He says mum-having a Star Wars birthday cake is not a choice, mum-having to choose a Star Wars birthday cake OR  a Minecraft birthday cake is a choice mum.  

I, of course, could be wrong about what choice means in this context.  But in a literal sense, it sounds like a joke.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

@dawn Not for me to answer.   Only @Rata could say for sure which/what fit's the needs/requirements, etc.

@Itamar - yes, that's true ... if installing all 7 of the set.   Well done mod, I might add. smile

At least @Rata has options to consider.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Dawn- I understand what you mean and actually I agree; hence my surprise in discovering that with Moodle's Choice activity you can only make one selection. I suppose the choice is: you click the button to make the selection..or you don't.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by dawn alderson -

thanks Mary, and a special thanks for sharing laughter with me!

The thing is, having thought about it....signing a declaration-that is a requirement....well there ought not be a choice eh?

by Rata . -

Thank you all!

now we have various options to consider.