import/export questions...only in a category?

import/export questions...only in a category?

by Rob Bor -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I'm on Moodle 2.8.5 and only recently became a Moodle user/admin.

I am fiddling about with the question bank and how I can import or export between Moodle and my own hard disk.

I come to following conclusion:

• export means I can only export categories, not individual questions. Of course I can put just a single question in a category, but that defies the benefits of using categories smile.
  • import means I can only import categories, not pick a single question from a saved category.

Is that correct? If so, I am facing an inconvenient situation. I want to use one question from a saved category with 50 questions; I then have to import the whole category and delete the 49 questions I do not need.....

I truly hope that I missed something important, so that import/export works differently....

Thank you.

Rob.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Bor

Re: import/export questions...only in a category?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, that is currently the case.

Cleary, it is possible to imagine a better UI for this, but to make that happen, someone would have to do the work to implement it.

In reply to Rob Bor

by Douglas Broad -

Just copy the question to a blank category and export.  Takes much less work.

In reply to Douglas Broad

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I notice something maybe a little odd in Moodle 2.8.5 (and probably some earlier versions).  When in the question bank, there are only options to "Delete" or "Move to".  There is no option to "Copy."

Maybe Tim can explain this to us.

I seem to recall that if I was moving a question that was already in use by a quiz, "Move to" actually did a "Copy."  But if the question(s) was not in a quiz yet, "Move to" really did move the question.

Must a "Copy" be done by duplicating the question first, then moving it?  Is this the intended logic?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There has never been a copy option in the question bank. (The effective way to copy a lot of questions is to export them, then re-import them.)

Your recollection about Move is wrong. It sounds a bit like what is really the case when it comes to delete.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by James Roberts -

Once again, Tim, your post has saved me alot of time/hassle. Thanks.

Arguably the best way (and in the case of calculated questions with wild cards, perhaps the only way) to move quiz questions from one category to another is to export/import. In the case of calculated questions, when you import, make sure that you uncheck the source category box (depending on Moodle version, you may have to expand the choices to see this option) so that the calculated question (and its wild cards) don't simply go into a new/created category in the destination with a category name from the source.