Essential theme: remove all block header icons

Essential theme: remove all block header icons

by Marc Couture -
Number of replies: 7

Is there a way to globally remove (or better yet, hide using .css) all block header icons? Thanks in advance.

Remove block header icon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marc Couture

Re: Essential theme: remove all block header icons

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

To do this you would need to physically remove the CSS that adds those icons. The LESS css is here...

https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/blob/master/less/essential/settings/blocks.less#L40-L199

Which in Essential will be hard to do unless you know how to use Grunt!

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Marc Couture -

Thanks to both of you for the info, I will dig in and look into how to do this with our IT guys!

Cheers,

Marc C.

In reply to Marc Couture

by Andrea Sweden -

Hi all!

I am new to this community but I guess one could modify the CSS and removing the icons in Essential theme without Javascript.

It works for me:

In Appearance -> Theme -> Essential -> General -> in Custom CSS field paste following:

.block .header .title>.fa {
    display: none;
}

Voila! My Icons are gone! smile

What I Think is that Javascript is only Writing (output) the CSS on-the-fly but general custom CSS gets the last Word about a css class?

I also changed all the header to small letters and a capital letter with only css code with this custom css.

Have a nice day!

Andrea

In reply to Andrea Sweden

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Andrea,

Welcome.

JavaScript?  In this case the only JavaScript is the server side in Node.js in the screencast and that's when the LESS is being processed into CSS.

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Andrea Sweden -

Hi Gareth!

Ok. Server-side JavaScript is JavaScript?  The Point was that it was simplest choise to to write clean CSS in custom CSS field as above instead of using Node.js.

With this css code lines I dont need to use Node.js or Javascript server-side?

.block .header .title>.fa {
    display: none;
}

Voila! My Icons are gone! smile

I am not a good programmer but I Think my quick tip could help other people like me?

Your tips are more advanced but take more time? "full instructions on how to make the CSS from the LESS.Also, there is this screen cast for Shoehorn that applies to Essential too."? So depends how one would like to move forward in ones Moodle Project?

Have a nice week!

Andrea

In reply to Andrea Sweden

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Andrea,

Yes Node.js is server side JavaScript.  However in this context it is only being applied in the development context and not directly employed in the creation of the output.

Sometimes there can be a quick change (like I suspect yours is), however the LESS -> CSS process is based upon a define once use many principle where one defined constant is applied in many places.  Therefore just CSS rather than using the process I've described is not always the complete solution.

Cheers,

G