Cross-compatability of backups (server switch from Linux to Windows)

Cross-compatability of backups (server switch from Linux to Windows)

by Point Right -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

At my organization, we deployed Moodle on an Amazon cloud instance with a third party. The version is Moodle 2.7 (Build: 20140512)

We very quickly realized that this was not going to work, as the company is almost exclusively a Microsoft house. I am essentially the only employee who can work with Linux server technology. 

Here is the issue though - now they want to put an Azure server in place and put Moodle on it. Then it can be supported better internally. What I'm wondering is whether or not my backups and archive of courses and pages are cross-platform compatible. In other words, will my Moodle backup from my Linux instance work & be imported easily (manually - like, via the admin UI, when logged in as a superuser) on the Windows version?

Are backups cross-browser compatible?

Your expertise and thoughts are appreciated in advance!

Thank you,

B

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Point Right

Re: Cross-compatability of backups (server switch from Linux to Windows)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Short (and only) answer - Yes.  Backups (of any kind I can think of) are completely operating system agnostic. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

However they may not be always Moodle version compatible.....

In reply to Point Right

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Though Howard has already said Yes, and Marcus has put his hammer down as could be compatibility issue, as long as you are using the 2.x versions of Moodle, no issue what so ever. even 99% chance of flawless restore from older Moodle versions as well.

and yes, you have to see if the databases working at back end in Amazon and Azure have been same, as backups created in MySQL may wont work in MS-SQL. I had just tested  a site bringing from LAMP to WIMP (both running MYSQL) and site worked straight away.