Automated Back-ups in Moodle 2.8.5 not working (generating)

Automated Back-ups in Moodle 2.8.5 not working (generating)

by Mark Matsune -
Number of replies: 2

I recently upgraded my website from Moodle 2.3 to 2.8.5. Most things are working fine.

Since I didn't know how to set up the cron job, I signed up for the free version of EasyCron and it is running successfully (The warning notifications in the Moodle Website that a "cron job has not run in more than 24 hours" have disappeared).

Now my biggest problem is the automated backups are only generating for the first 4 courses (zip files ranging in size from 6M to 135 M) out of the 15 courses on my Moodle website. I have successfully generated manual backups for all 15 courses ranging in zip files size from 6 M up to about 155 M.  I tried to solve this problem by upgrading my free plan to a Starter Trial, but that hasn't solved the problem (I have 5 days remaining in the trial ***see the attached file).

The other settings that I have changed are:

In my other php.ini settings I have reset the following:

post_max_size = 500M

upload_max_filesize = 500M

My website is hosted by BlueHost and I made these edited the changes in the cPanels File Manager. If someone can give me a complete example of what to type into the Command (see the attached file), I would like to try to set up the cron job on my own without EasyCron.

As you can guess, I am a PC neophyte (^▽^) and cannot follow any of the html code or other jargon (i.e. I can't even set up the cron job).  I really hope some "kind and patient soul" can coach me through this.

The academic year starts in a few days here in Japan (^_^;). Thanks in advance!!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Matsune

Re: Automated Back-ups in Moodle 2.8.5 not working (generating)

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

mmm Have you checked that EasyCron is not crippleware? I don't know it so wonder if it is only doing part of its job until you buy a license. Another thing you might want to have a look at is execution time in the PHP.ini file. 

Another thought... In the Site Administration > Development > Experimental there is an option to change backups away from the *.zip format of *.mbz to *.tar.gz format of *.mbz.  Try that, EasyCron my find that a bit more useful... but that is something of a longshot.... 

In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: Automated Back-ups in Moodle 2.8.5 not working (generating)

by Mark Matsune -

Hi Colin,

First, thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I tried almost the same post on the Backup and restore forum with no response.

I checked a few sources and EasyCron seems legit. One of their tech people has also been upgrading my "trial" plans in an effort to replicate the success I initially had with 4 out of 15 courses generating an automated backup one time last week.

I had previously tried your other suggestion with no success : Site Administration > Development > Experimental there is an option to change backups away from the *.zip format of *.mbz to *.tar.gz format of *.mbz.  

Question: What should I try to change the execution time in the PHP.ini file to?

I just tried: 

max_execution_time = 30 to max_execution_time = 300

and

max_input_time = 60 to max_input_time = 600

With my lack of PC savvy, I'm afraid that I just don't know exactly what to type in the cPanel cron job command line. Can you suggest a complete example command (Someone told me it also depends on the hosting service. I am using BlueHost, but the command they suggested also did not work.

Sorry for my long-winded follow-up. I hope you can spare a little more time to help me through this.

Thanks in advance.

Mark