TaskChain password

TaskChain password

by Melvin Shantz -
Number of replies: 5

Hi Gordon,

It has been a while since I have posted. I know that I still have a thread from way back that I need to do some testing on yet. It has to do with moving a TaskChain from one course section to another without crashing the lesson. I worry about doing this kind of testing when the server has active courses, so it is something I intend to test out this summer. I have updated Moodle a few times since the issue first arose so maybe it has gone away as an issue 

I love TaskChain given the tools that it can assemble into lessons (sequitor, all the hot potatoes stuff including the hacks by Michael Rottmeier) and TaskChain's tireless ability to keep track of it all in the grade book. However, I usually use it for lessons where the students can master content through repeated attempts.  Yesterday, I decided to use a Hot Potatoes multiple-choice for a test through TaskChain. I set my Hot Potatoes config file to the following to reduce the amount of feedback that students got. It wasn't perfect but still quite good. The fill in the blanks still gave hints but they didn't know if they got the multiple-choice right.

https://moodle.org/pluginfile.php/199/mod_forum/post/1243812/configfile.jpg

Three issues arose:

1. When I went to put a password on the test, this password kept showing up in subsequently added TaskChains. It also appeared on each of the chains. So a student would enter it to do the test but got a blank white screen afterwards. I had to go in and remove it from each task and then it worked. And when it got added to a TaskChain with several tasks, I had to remove it from each task there. My impression here is that adding a password gets added to each task in addition to the initial entry into the lesson (lesson being a set of tasks, i.e. hot potatoes files). However,  when asked for the password upon entering the TaskChain, no problem. But then they aren't asked for a password for each hot potatoes file as it loads. Nor should they be to my mind.

2. The second issue of course is that I had trouble getting rid of the password being added to new taskchains as I developed them. I would create a new chain without a password but the password would still show up. I solved it by going in and removing the password from each individual chain and that seemed to removed setting in subsequent taskchains that I developed.

3. The third issue that arose is that the students weren't getting all of the answers correct but didn't really know which ones were wrong in the case of multiple-choice anyways. So they had to simply decide when they were finished. TaskChain wasn't taking them out because wrong answers were still present. I simply had them backtrack using the breadcrumbs which had them abandon the TaskChain putting their final score into the gradebook. I expect I could have put an exit button of some kind. Perhaps there are various ways to handle this. There is a bit a challenge here

Finally, and I know that this is a side issue. However, when I was a user of WebAssign, it very nicely deployed assignments on a per group or per person basis based on dates assigned to those deployments without having to create multiple assignments and through it multiple entries into a common gradebook used by many students over several classes in the same course. I know that sentence was jam packed and perhaps reflects the complexity of the issue. But I am unaware of how deployments of a taskchain or quiz might be done in Moodle based on group or individual, date and time even though version two is apparently equipped to do so. If anyone reading is up on this kind of thing and can point me to information, I'd appreciate it. I do have my students in groups and this is no doubt part of the picture. But what happens when I want to deploy an extension to an individual. Frankly, knowing this gives me tools to get around using passwords on TaskChains etc.

Thanks Gordon,

Mel

using Moodle 2.8.3+

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melvin Shantz

Re: TaskChain password

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Mel,

from points (1) and (2) I undertsand that passwords don't work on the chain and on the tasks. I will have a look at  that and fix it in due course.

Point (3) sems odd to me. JQuiz shows selected wrong answers with an un-smiley face :-( , so students should easily be able to recognize when they have chosen a wrong answer. What happens when you choose a wrong answer in one of you JQuiz multiple choise questions?

I don't think Moodle can handle your final point - not yet anyway smile

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Melvin Shantz -

Just a quick response here Gordon regarding point three.  I can change the configuration for the assignment in JQuiz so that it doesn't show either the smiley face or the X. See below. The student gets feedback but he or she isn't told if the answer is right or wrong that way. I could also just leave them empty. The feedback is kind of long. Something simpler would likely be better like "tx" or something like that. I probably should have changed Guess Correct below too. 

as opposed to

Mel

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Mel,

from points (1) and (2) I undertsand that passwords don't work on the chain and on the tasks. I will have a look at  that and fix it in due course.

Point (3) sems odd to me. JQuiz shows selected wrong answers with an un-smiley face :-( , so students should easily be able to recognize when they have chosen a wrong answer. What happens when you choose a wrong answer in one of you JQuiz multiple choise questions?

I don't think Moodle can handle your final point - not yet anyway smile

regards
Gordon

by Philippe Decloitre -

Hi Mel,

About your side issue of point N°3:

You must create groups AND groupings (a grouping is group of groupS).

One student can be in one or more group and thus in one or more groupings.

If you make an activity available to one particular grouping  it will not show for the others (that's a "parameters' value)

Note: The restriction only wroks for groupings, not for groups, but one grouping can be made up of only one group.

Cheers

Philippe

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Philippe Decloitre

by Melvin Shantz -

Kind of you to respond Philippe.

So I have groups and the notion of making groupings makes sense to me. So, thinking outloud here, if I have a Wednesday class using a Moodle Lesson and a Friday class using the same lesson each class would be their own group, plus there would be a grouping of those two groups.

So the following situation should work.

I have a Moodle exercise that I want to make available to both classes for a week. So I open it to Wednesday's group on Wednesday. Then I change the setting on that lesson to make it available to both groups as of Friday using the grouping of the two classes (which are each their own group). Then on the following Wednesday, I change the setting again to the Friday group only as Wednesday has now had a week with the lesson.

Is that how you imagine functioning? I assume that switching between the groups or groupings is not a problem and doesn't affect the grade book etc. But you can only assign a lesson to one group or grouping at a time. 

My hope is that this is a feature that Moodle incorporates before too long. WebAssign did a real smooth job of this. They had a question bank and then assignments (which were questions put together from that bank to form the assignment). Then they had deployments which was where you made an assignment available to students. You could deploy to a group between a set of dates and time. You could also deploy to an individual or a several individuals which made an extension on an assignment for individuals easy to do without opening the assignment up to an entire group or without having to create a new group. You could also deal with a student in Friday's class attending Wednesday's class on a given week that way too. You could have as many concurrent deployments on an assignment as you wish. So I could set up different deployments for different classes and/or individuals at the same time. Real flexible.

Your post has moved me forward in this area though. I appreciate the tip. I just have to create a lot more groups which can get complex when you have up to five groups using an assignment. Plus I have to go in and change the group setting on assignments rather than having their availability expire at a predefined time. I am not complaining here. Moodle is too powerful in many ways to permit that. At the same time, I can't help but hope that things will evolve in this area.

All the best,
Mel