Rhubarb's apostrophe converted into &# x2019 (hex?) by Moodle

Rhubarb's apostrophe converted into &# x2019 (hex?) by Moodle

by Philippe Decloitre -
Number of replies: 5

Hi Gordon and all of you useful contributors,

I recently stumbled onto this problem:

I am using (many) Rhubarb exercises among some of my TC tasks.

The exercise works fine on my computer (I have the program create an htm file on my pc, and it runs fine _any browser).

However when I upload the *.rhb file on Moodle, all the apostrophes in the text (that is to be discovered by the students) are transformed into:

&# x2019

So The Rhubarb exercise expects the students to write:

the man &# x2019 s hat

instead of:

the man's hat

Is there any way out of this. Is it the server's handling of things or does it come from TC?

Many thanks!

P.S: If I upload the htm version on Moodle, it works fine. Does that point to TC?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Philippe Decloitre

Re: Rhubarb's apostrophe converted into &# x2019 (hex?) by Moodle

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Philippe,
thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. 

I have modified QuizPort, HotPot and TaskChain to handle non-ascii chars, such as the curly apostrophe, ', used in Rhubarb activities. Please update these modules on your Moodle site when you next have a chance.

Out of interest, how do you input the curly apostrophe, ', on your keyboard. Also, when the students are doing the Rhubarb exercise from the htm file, can they input a plain apostrphe, ', or do the have to input a curly one?

If possible please could you attach the rhb file and the htm file of your Rhubarb exercise to your next post ot this thread on the HotPot forum, so that I can investigate further.

best regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Philippe Decloitre -

Hello Gordon,

This is a follow-up on the apostrophe issue.

I had left it aside all this time because I had to put up with a server working with sub-standard verion of Mysql (older version than that required).

That time is over and I can now work with up-to-date Moodle and environment.

So my context is latest Stable Moodle 2.8, latest Taskchain,  and required environment.

The issue with the apostrophe is still there: the apostrophe is not recognized but is expected so there is no way of getting the right answer excep by cliking on "hint" (which removes quite a number of points, the students hate it...

The apostrophe my students use is the (only) one _I think_ present on French keyboards (the key shared with "4" on the upper line of the keyboard.

I will type one for you here: '

Depending on whether it istyped in MSWord or in a web form, it will show differently (I think Word just converts it to curly (event opens it and closes it for you).

Thank you Gordon wink 

PS As an aside, I wanted to attach a non-working file (attached indeed), but i stumbled upon something unexpected:

I told you I am now working on an updated Moodle, All my TC activities work fine (but for the apostrophe issue). However these activities were upload through the RESTORE process.

Now, as I am trying to upload one rhubarb at a time, to check if the issue is the same depending on the way it is uploaded), I get this error (upon trying to create a TC activity):

Identifiant de module de cours non valide

Erreur de programmation détectée. Ceci doit être corrigé par un programmeur : The course you passed to $PAGE->set_cm does not correspond to the $cm.

(Left the French parts there, I know you can handle that smile

Cheers

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks for sharing your Rhubarb file for me to test on Philippe.

I'm a little busy at the moment to investigate, but it is on my todo list.

thanks for your patience
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Thanks for sharing your Rhubarb file for me to test on Philippe.

I'm a little busy at the moment to investigate, but it is on my todo list.

thanks for your patience
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Philippe Decloitre -

Thanks for putting the bug on your list Gordon. smile

Cheerio