2.8.3 Do we need a special plugin for an API that is built on a SOAP format?

2.8.3 Do we need a special plugin for an API that is built on a SOAP format?

by Wendi Daniels -
Number of replies: 9

In discussion with a developer, he thinks we may need a special plugin for an API that is written in the SOAP format, but I thought I saw SOAP as one of the accepted formats on Moodle. Please advise. Is anything special needed to upload an API in SOAP?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wendi Daniels

Re: 2.8.3 Do we need a special plugin for an API that is built on a SOAP format?

by Wendi Daniels -

Does anyone have an answer for this? It seems we would not need it, as it seems to be part of the program, but a programmer who works with moodle thinks it might be necessary.

Re: 2.8.3 Do we need a special plugin for an API that is built on a SOAP format?

by Damyon Wiese -
SOAP is supported out of the box - but if there is no webservice function in Moodle that does what ever it is you need to do, then you will need to write a new webservice function (via a plugin).

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Wendi Daniels -
I already have the code built. What I mean to ask is this: do I need to make some special plugin to attach my SOAP API to my moodle site?

by Damyon Wiese -
Sorry, your question does not contain enough information for me to understand exactly what you are trying to do. Your best bet is to read all the webservice docs:

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Web_services

Regards, Damyon
In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Wendi Daniels -
Oh dear... the problem is that I really am ignorant about this sort of thing. I have an API that is already built. It is built in a SOAP format. I assume I just need to install it...or do SOAP API's require an extra plugin?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Why does this developer think that? Why does he not come here himself to discuss it with us himself? What previous Moodle experience does he have?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Wendi Daniels -

Well, I told him I would ask to see if we needed it. I would not automatically assume he is up to no good. I am just trying to find out if we need a special plugin to integrate a premade SOAP API. where in the ftP files do I insert the code?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well, you have not yet given us enough information about what the situation is to judge. What is this SOAP API. Is this an API povided by some other system that Moodle needs to call, or will this be an API in Moodle that is called by the other system? When will this API be called, and to do what? All these factors affect when and if this would best be done as a separate plugin or not.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Wendi Daniels -

OK.

It's an API created by a state entity, and it is designed to report the students' information to the state entity, when they pass the test.