Moodle Upgrade does not update version

Moodle Upgrade does not update version

by David Paige -
Number of replies: 6
I am trying to upgrade from Moodle 2.5 (build 20130621) to 2.5.9.  This is on a Ubuntu 12.04 x64 installation.  I recently experienced some issues which appear to be resolved by the latest version.  I am running php 5.3.10, and mysql 5.5.34, both of which exceed the minimum versions.

Following the instructions, I put the moodle in maintenance mode, moved my moodle folder, and unzipped the new version.  I copied my config.php file, and set the ownership like the old directory 'root:www-data'.

When I looked in Notifications, it shows the old version 2.5+ (20130621).  The new version was apparently not detected.  I tried taking the site out of maintenance mode, because one page said that would detect the new version.

Why is my new version not being detected?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Paige

Re: Moodle Upgrade does not update version

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you logged in as admin and went to the Notifications page (shouldn't have needed to do that) and it didn't go through the upgrade process (which should be obvious) then the most likely thing is that your code is NOT the newer version. 

Check your work carefully replacing the Moodle files. You have the right idea but I suspect you didn't do what you said you did...

In reply to David Paige

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Did you change permissions?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by David Paige -

Silly me.  I have resolved the issue.  The config.php file was root:root.  I may have copied the file after I changed the permissions for the directory tree.  I discovered the discrepancy when I was comparing the directories.

When I changed the permission, the upgrade started under notifications. However, I received a timeout, and when I refreshed the page, I had to log back in.  The old version is still listed, and I don't get an update request under notifications. 

I was hoping the upgrade to the new version would resolve my timeout issues.

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Update:

I closed firefox, and logged back into the Moodle.  Now it is upgrading to 2.5.9.  There are a couple of add-ons missing from disk (lab, pdfview, communication, grade, news, and research.)  I don't know if those are particularly important.  The site has no external connections, and all of the students sit in the room where I am now.

I'll do a quick look through the old directory for Add-ons before I click Upgrade Moodle database.  Or, would it be easier to upgrade now and add the labs later?

Thanks.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by David Paige -

My problem now continues to involve reset connections.

In notification, I get notified that I need to update to 2.5.9.  I copied the mods and blocks from the backup directory so they appear now.  However, when I click the Upgrade database, I get a timeout and the upgrade never initiates.  Both IE and Firefox tell me that the connection was reset.

xxx.lan/admin/index.php?confirmupgrade=1&confirmrelease=1&confirmplugincheck=1

In reply to David Paige

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

So that would mean that PHP or Apache is not allowing enough time for the upgrade to complete. Options are to increase the timeouts in PHP and/or Apache configuration, or if you have ssh or command-line access to the server, run the upgrade from the command line.

In reply to Bret Miller

by David Paige -

Thanks Bret.  I think I first started noticing the timeout issue occurring frequently last week about the time I applied the Feb 2015 Microsoft patches on the Win7 workstations (and Win2K8R2) I use to access the Moodle.  (I haven't had time to test the March patches yet.)  This also included going from Firefox 34 to Firefox 36.  I wondered if perhaps Firefox was doing something strange, but it also happens in IE.

At this point, I am unsure of the state of the installation, so I reverted my VM to just before the installation.  I will try and look for timeout options in php and apache.  I'm not aware of anything which should have modified the timeout values, though.  I may end up waiting until the next class finishes to try again.

David