Add student to new course?

Add student to new course?

by Sherman Keene -
Number of replies: 9
I'm sorry. I thought of myself as an accomplished Moodler. Then I tried to add a student who has taken Basic and Intermediate to the Advanced course. No way!

I think it's possible that the meaning system of Moodle is now entirely devoted to what Moodle wants. The thread of "what does the teacher want" has been lost. I have tried for three hours to find the place where enrolled students can be added to existing courses without success.

Can it still be done? Do you really have to re-enroll an existing student all over in order to assign his/her enrollment in to the next course in a series?

???

Sherman

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sherman Keene

Re: Add student to new course?

by ben reynolds -

HI Sherman,

You don't say what version you're using, but let's assume 2+

Assuming the student is already in the Moodle,

Course administration > users > enrolled users >  enroll users > enter user name in text box (but also check role at the top) > search > if successful, click the enrol button.

The mention of courses to have completed suggests that the student needs to have completed those prereq courses. Is completion of course an issue? Then student will not appear in enroll users.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Sherman Keene -

I didn't mention what version of Moodle I'm using because nowhere, on any page is the Moodle version shown. There is no "About This Moodle." There is no Moodle Version menu item.

Your help is appreciated. There is no Course Administration.

I'm trying to get to the window that shows all users on left side and who is enrolled in the right side.

I've tried to find this tool for hours using the menu system that is telling what Moodle wants--not telling teachers how to do what they're trying to do.

"Add existing student to new course"

What would be so bad about object-oriented menu items?

???

Sherman

by Derek Chirnside -

Ask your site administrator Sherman to find out your version of Moodle.  This is a very important piece of information.  Even 1.9 VS 2.x

And: really dumb question: are you a teacher in a course? ie in the Moodle role sense?

My next question is this: how did you add the students to the basic course?  Have you tried the same method to add them to the advanced course?  If you say "They are already there" I suspect your way of getting students into the system is done behind the scenes.  Your system admin/moodle may be set up to not allow you to add students.

In my opinion, you need to slow down a bit, and stop blaming the system and emoting.  At present we have not enough information to help without huge guesses.  If you have no course administration: that is the problem.  It, ALL WHAT YOU NEED, is all nicely behind this menu.

Good luck

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Sherman Keene -

I am the one and only Admin. I even added a second Admin account (according to the Moodle documentation) in case either fails.

I have looked and looked. I can find no "About this Moodle" or any tiny string of numbers anywhere on any page.

I used to find the window where the registered students (of Basic & Intermediate) are on the left side and the right side showed who was enrolled in Advanced. I can't find that window any more. I can find the student, but no way to add this student to the Advanced course.

I'll say it again: I think the menu system is Moodle-serving and should be changed to Admin/Teacher-serving.

> Version of this Moodle

> Add a student to a new course

> Sign up a new student

These are all very common things an Admin or teacher (I'm both) has to do and they're nowhere in any menu. The menus have items beloved of programmers, not teachers.

So . . . WHERE is the Moodle version hidden away?

So . . . is the Enroll button a thing of the past, or is it hidden away too?

I LOVE my Moodle. I can't imagine being without it.

Sherman Keene

by Floyd Saner -

Sherman,

The Moodle version is found in Site administration ... Notifications.  I believe it has been there for quite a while.

To manually add students within a course structure

1. Open the course
  2. Click Course administration ... Users ... Enrolled users
  3. Near the upper right corner of that page there should be an 'Enrol Users' button - click that
  4. Use the window that pops up to add users to the course.
  5. When done, click Finish enrolling users

Yes, I miss the old two-window panel for enrolling, but overall the navigation menus of Moodle have improved.

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

by Sherman Keene -

Thank you so much Floyd!

Your message hit a home run for me.

I'm getting too literal in my older age. I saw the Course Admin > Users > Enrolled users screen and tried and tried clicking on first name letters and last name letters to find my already registered student. It never once occurred to me to click the Enroll Users button when there was no user indicated in the A-Z search portion of the page.

Your instructions worked like a charm.

I am very grateful to be able to message my Advanced student with new that he's enrolled.

Happy and very grateful,

Sherman Keene

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you go to a page as a teacher (say a course page) and scroll down to the bottom you should see a link Moodle docs for this page.Click on it and it will take you to the documentation for this page and top right in big will be a number - -eg 2.8 - which will be the number of your Moodle version. Also (if your Moodle is version 2 or later) find the Site administration block and click on Notifications. It should give you a number which will also be your version - paste it here if you are not sure.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sherman Keene -

Hi Mary!

I remember the excellent help you gave me in the past. Thank you.

In the Moodle Docs from my Advanced Sound Engineering training course I see "2.5 docs." Can this be the way a Moodle announces its version? Wow!

Using the "Notifications" link ??? I found something close to what all Mac users expect to see when the click "About this Mac" (or software).

Moodle2.5+ (Build: 20130524)
Copyright (c) 1999 onwards, Martin Dougiamas
and many other contributors.

GNU Public License

That is excellent. I must have missed Notifications when looking for About This Moodle.

Is there still a page where I can see enrolled students on one side with the course enrollees on the other? In the past, I'd just click the student and then the Enroll button and the existing student would be enrolled.

Thanks for helping this time around.

smile

Sherman 

In reply to ben reynolds

by Brian Henry -

I just had to use Google to find the solution to this.

I think the "Enrol users" button should be called "Enrol new users". It's not obvious enough, particularly because it's in a section that one would expect is for managing users that are already enrolled, similar to how authentication and enrolment are separated, I felt before and after would be separate.