Adding 1 word causes error >>> no permission for modedit.php

This forum post has been removed

Number of replies: 3
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Adding 1 word causes error >>> no permission for modedit.php

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I've seen this error reported in the forums before (not your specific "having" word, but other similar, harmless-looking words) and it often relates to mod_security  - I would do a search on these forums for mod_security and/or "You don't have permission to access " and see if it brings you some useful information.

In reply to Deleted user

by Alisdair Gurney -

I came across similar in the last few days. The error message was different, but failure was caused by innocuous word such as "ftp" "control" or "services".

My system's hosted on our corporate network and I can work around the problem by connecting over a VPN ... so Moodle isn't broken, the problem's elsewhere.

hope that helps.

In reply to Alisdair Gurney

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I ran across a similar error recently as well, and Mary is right, it was something in the "mod_security" code that was  causing the issue. What was happening was that as soon as I used a particular phrase, there was an alert in the same position as the "Draft saved" alert. Only, this one was saying "Cannot connect to server". Very frustrating as it was only on that one page, that one phrase, Weird, huh? Once the mod_security was editied, and I do not know how, the problem disappeared. The issue was raised as a Tracker item and was connected to the use of Cloudfare as a security addition.