New resource type: IMS CP

New resource type: IMS CP

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Number of replies: 49
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi,

I've just sent to CVS (1.6dev only) a new resource type. It allows to load and deploy packages conforming the IMS Content Packaging specification.

Please, stress it with your packages and send your info here. Ideas will be welcome, of course!

Know bugs:

- It doesn't display properly diacritics and non-ascii characters for now. It would be really easy to convert them to iso_8859_1 (just a call to utf_decode()), but I would like to start a discussion about how to handle this for non-iso sites.

Ciao smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

Re: New resource type: IMS CP

by Ger Tielemans -
Great!! (will there also come a 1.5.2 Version?)
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Well,

It's alpha for now (just the first release) so I don't know it it will fit inside 1.5.x (at least in the next weeks). Anyway, as it doesn't make any DB changes nor modify anything outside itself (great resource types plugin mechanism!), I think that you can use it (for testing!!!) under 1.5 too.

Just copy the mod/resource/type/ims dir over your 1.5 site and you will have it working. Some lang and style files are used too but they aren't mandatory for the IMS CP resource type to work.

Ciao smile

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Eloy,

Your new resource type is great! approve

We liked it so much that we have "borrowed" the code and included it in our new resource type: Object repository - I hope you don't mind. wink

In reply to Helen Foster

by Dan Stowell -
Hi all -

People seem to be calling this the "IMS Resource Type" (eg: docs.moodle.org/en/IMS_resource_type). This is potentially really confusing, since IMS is the name of the body that agrees the standards, not of the standard itself. (They also set the standards for IMS Enterprise, IMS ePortfolio, etc etc, all relevant in a Moodle context!)

Can we agree to call it the "IMS CP" resource type? I hope the wiki page can be renamed, at least.

Thanks-
Dan

In reply to Dan Stowell

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your comments - you're right that we should agree upon a good name for this new resource type. My reasoning in calling it "IMS" was simply to keep the name as short as possible and in consideration of acronym-phobic teachers. wink

As mentioned previously in this thread, I've been involved in developing our contrib Object module into a resource type which combines the features of Eloy's resource type with the option to browse and preview packages in a central repository. Hopefully this code will be included in Moodle 1.6 at some point. As teachers seemed happy with the module name "Object", we kept it as a resource type name. However, I now realise that this was not a good plan because the Hive integration resource type is named "Repository object" - very confusing!

I think it's currently called an "IMS content package" in 1.6. Perhaps I should re-name the wiki page accordingly?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Dan Stowell -
Yes, I do think that's good idea. "IMS Content Package" is nice and clear. In Moodle drop-down menus it could even be "Content Package" to aid the acronym-phobic smile
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Helen Foster -
Wiki page re-named, as requested smile

In reply to Helen Foster

by Dan Stowell -
There doesn't seem to be an emoticon for "tips hat". I'll have to settle for approve

I've added a bit of extra blurb to that wiki page. Feel free to flesh it out if you feel inspired.

Re: New resource type: IMS CP--LINK

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hi Eloy,

Can you forward to me the link to Download IMS CP.

The resi=ource looks great.

Can you direct me to read up on the functionality.

Thanks

Garry

In reply to Bhupinder Singh

Hi Garry,

it's included in the 1.6dev release so you can find it in http://download.moodle.org

I would recommend you to install the 1.6 Complete Package because it's included there and such package runs in UTF-8 mode, being a good candidate to perform all sort of "real" tests...

Any feedback will be welcome. I hope to spend some days improving the IMS resource type in some weeks...

Ciao smile

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hi Eloy,

Thanks for the info Shall try out as suggested.

Garry

by Bhupinder Singh -

Eloy,

Thanks for the link.

Does it work in 1.5.3+??

Garry

by Ian Goh -
What is the minimum version of IMS CP that the resource will import? I'm hoping it's at least IMS CP v 1.1.2.

- Ian

by Ian Goh -
I was able to export a WebCT 4.1 Content Module as a content package, and deploy it via the IMS CP into moodle. However, it looks like the AICC/SCORM module does that as well. [http://docs.moodle.org/en/WebCT_migration]

If Moodle's SCORM can import an IMS content package -and- it does more (like assessments), why do we need a separate resource type?

- Ian

by Jay S -
Hello we are using 1.6 Beta 4.

The IMS Content Package resource, works great in Firefox. But in IE it doesnt work so well. The pages just dont appear from time to time.

I checked the same course in 1.6 dev and the IMS Content Package worked fine, no blank pages.

Anyone else having this issue.
In reply to Jay S

by Helen Foster -
Hi Jason,

Thanks for testing the IMS CP. approve

You've most likely noticed many changes between the 1.6 beta and 1.6 dev versions. It would be very helpful if you could post a report in the bug tracker, providing as many details as possible, such as information about the package used for testing, whether it is particular pages which don't appear or whether the problem is intermittent etc.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Karen Williams -

I'm also experiencing problems. Having now successfully got the repository working, I've put some content in there and deployed it all. However, the preview isn't working, looking as though a file is missing. However, the file is there, so I'm assuming the URL is wrong somewhere:

Not Found

The requested URL /ims_repository/snb22/nlntutor.htm was not found on this server.

This is the error I'm getting. There was an extra slash after 'ims_repository' which I've managed to eliminate thinking that was the issue and it's still not working. I've tried all sorts of combinations in the config files and still can't get it working angry

Any tips/ideas would be very gratefully received!

Many thanks

Karen Williams

In reply to Karen Williams

by Helen Foster -
Hmm, could you state what you have for $CFG->repository and $CFG->repositorywebroot. An extra slash shouldn't necessarily cause a problem. thoughtful

In reply to Helen Foster

by Karen Williams -

Hi Helen

Thanks for getting back. The repository_config.php shows (without the linebreaks):

<?php
    $CFG->repositoryactivate = true;
    $CFG->repository = "c:\program files\easyPHP1-8\www\moodle\ims_repository";
    $CFG->repositorywebroot = "/ims_repository";
?>

Any ideas?

Many, many thanks again.

Karen

In reply to Karen Williams

by Andrew Walker -

Hi Karen,

When you view your moodle site do you access using the address http://your-host-name/ or by http://your-host-name/moodle/ ? If it's the latter, try using,

$CFG-&gt;repositorywebroot = '/moodle/ims_repository';

in repository_config.php

Hope this helps smile

In reply to Andrew Walker

by Andrew Walker -
Gaa! I really should read my posts after submitting them blush the &gt; above should be >
In reply to Helen Foster

by José Neif Jury Fabre -
Hello Helen, Jason.

This problem is also happening to me, and is not intermittent.

It happens allways (with all the IMS courses) using Moodle 1.6.1 and 1.6.1+, when viewing it with the Microsoft IE.

With Firefox it works well.

The content in the inline frames don't show at the first instance, and not even reloading the page.

The content only shows when clicking twice on appropiate link on the left side in the navigation menu.

I'm using EXE version 0.17 as the IMS package editor.

I read the interesting post of Chris Freyer regarding the old bug MDL-5684 and did his modifications on the code but it doesnt help to the IMS package problem.

I'll be posting this on the bug tracker.

by James Ballard -
Hi

I have been trying to test the repository out on our 1.6 Beta 5 local site as we hope to start using this module as soon as our sites are updated to 1.6.

I have been having some trouble with the settings. I would like the repository to sit in the moodledata area if at all possible and have the following settings:

<?php
$CFG->repository = "C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\moodledata\ims_repository";
?>

I have tried various versions of this and all generate the same message:

Warning: opendir(C:\Program Files mpp\htdocs\moodledata\ims_repository/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: Invalid argument in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\beta\mod\resource\type\ims\finder.php on line 27
Can't open directory "C:\Program Files mpp\htdocs\moodledata\ims_repository/"

I solved this as soon as I saw what I'd posted by using:

<?php
    $CFG->repository = "C:/Program Files/xampp/htdocs/moodledata/ims_repository";
?>

Yours
James

by James Ballard -
Is the error when trying to deploy:

UTF-16 - CAN'T DEPLOY

a problem with the resource?

Is there anything we can do to deploy these?

Yours
James
In reply to James Ballard

by Helen Foster -
Hi James,

Thanks for testing the IMS CP repository. approve

Please could you confirm whether your error message is obtained with particular NLN materials.

It seems that some of the recently-released NLN materials were incorrectly packaged as UTF-16. However, I understand that the mistake is due to be corrected soon and the materials re-released.
In reply to Helen Foster

by James Ballard -
Hi Helen

Yes it it some of the new NLN ESOL resources released a month or so ago.

/Area Studies, Cultural Studies, Languages, Literature/Languages/epic4_FK22_Talking about the past

is one in particular

Yours
James

by Helen Foster -
Hi James,

It seems we came across the same problem. wink

If you need to use these NLN materials in the IMS CP repository on a production server before the materials are re-released, then please let me know. We can then provide a patch to fix the problem in the same way that it is fixed in the Object module.
In reply to Helen Foster

by James Ballard -
Thanks Helen,

We won't be upgrading our production sites until the academic year has finished, however we may start deploying the IMS CP Repository in preparation. We are currently using NLN materials via the SCORM activity and these were working fine so it would depend on when we see the re-releases.

Do you have an idea how many resources are affected by this as we may want to use the patch if it is more than a handful.

Yours
James

by Helen Foster -
Hi James,

We found just a few NLN ESOL materials (4 or 5) were affected.

by James Ballard -
Hi again,

I'm now trying to set up the repository on our live site and cannot find the directory as before. We have a linux setup with the following Moodle structure

/usr
/moodle
/site1
/site2
/moodle_data
/site1
/site2
/ims_repository

We are running 10 instances of Moodle within the Moodle folder and would like to allow them all access to the same IMS repository which is held in the Moodle_data folder.

The address for an instance is http://vle.barkingcollege.ac.uk/site.

I have tried the following using various combinations including the /usr folder in the address and so on.

<?php
    $CFG->repository = "http://vle.barkingcollege.ac.uk/moodle_data/ims_repository";
    $CFG->repositorywebroot = "/moodle_data/ims_repository";
?>

Has anyone set up the IMS repository to exist outside of the site files that could advise on where we may be going wrong. We get the following errors:
Yours
James

by Thomas Robb -
I haven't experimented with the repository system at all, but perhaps this might work...

What about simply making softlinks in the repository directory for each site that all point to the same "real" data directory?
In reply to Thomas Robb

by James Ballard -
Still having difficulties. I can't get any directory recognised no matter where I put the ims_repository folder. I have tried:
  • a directory outside the site in moodle_data
  • a directory in the moodle_data for the site
  • a directory in the moodle folder of the site
Where ever I place the directory I get the "Can't open directory" error message.

Folder permissions are 777, and I have also tried Aliases that point to the directory.

Anyone got any ideas?

Yours
James

by Helen Foster -
Hi James,

If you've not done so already, please see the IMS content package documentation for details of how to enable the repository.

The repository folder should be put in the webroot, not in the moodledata folder.

$CFG->repositorywebroot = "/ims_repository"; should be left unchanged.

CFG->repository should be a path on the file system not a web address, something like
$CFG->repository = "/var/www/htdocs/ims_repository";

(though I've no experience of linux file paths thoughtful)
In reply to Helen Foster

by James Ballard -
Thanks Helen big grin

I got it working now using the Moodle Data folder instead of webroot.
Using a path not a web address was where it was going wrong.

Yours
James

by Nick Walker -

As always I am a bit late joing the thread.

We have been using Windows/Apache and MySQL based Moodle 1.5 with Helen's Object module ( working).

I upgraded to 1.6 as instucted

I successfully uploaded some NLN zip files into the FILES area for a course and added them  as a SCORM activity. Albeit they do run quite slowly.

Being used to the Object Repository which can be accessed from anywhere I decided to tackle the IMS repository and quickly came upon the unable to open the directory. I found that changing  in  second line  the \ s to either \\s or /s sorted that problem

I copied a couple of directories from the old Object Folder into the IMS folder and proceeded to  add the resource. I clicked on BROWSE REPOSITORY and saw my files. I DEPLOYED one and then went  to preview it.

I can see the menu on the left hand side but in the white WIndow I get

Object not found!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404

The referring page states

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /moodle/mod/resource/view.php?r=56&frameset=ims&page=1 on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.0 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.0 OpenSSL/0.9.8a mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.1.1 Server at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />moodle.bracknell.ac.uk Port 80

I have checekd the file permission. All local USERS can read and list the file. Please what have I done wrong this time?

Example IMS Content packages

by Michael Penney -
Hi all, trying to get this working on our test server, does anyone have some example IMS Content packages that are known to work, that I could test?
In reply to Michael Penney

Re: Example IMS Content packages

by Christopher Hota -

At the OpenCourseWare site at MIT, most listed courses are offered as an IMS content package (although they're not listed as such).  Just choose a course, then click "Download this Course" in the course's navigation bar (left-hand side) and you will get a ZIP file.  Upload it to your web server and there you go.

Hope this helps!

by Richard Doel-Mackaway -

Please help!

I cannot get the IMS CP working.

When I add a new a new resource in a course topic using "Add an IMS Content Package" I get to the resource editing page. However, in the "Add an IMS Content Package" section of the resource editor the "Choose or upload a file button" takes me to the standard "Files" page for the course rather than the ims_repository.

I have created the follwing folder: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ims_repository

My repository_config.php file is as follows:

<?php
    $CFG->repository = "c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ims_repository";
?>

Running Moodle 1.8

Has anyone come accross the same problem and solved it?

In reply to Richard Doel-Mackaway

by Julian Ridden -
There should be a button that says 'browse repository' or something similar.

Sadly mine too is also not working in 1.8.1. Think it needs to be logged as a bug.
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Sean Keogh -
Yup, I too am seeing this problem on a couple of sites.

Both are 1.8.1+

One is a new site, the other had ims_repository working before the upgrade to 1.8.1+

The config file is correct in both cases.

Sean K

by Lluvia Morales -
Hi Eloy,

I have installed moodle 1.8.4 last week.
I've developed an AI planning system to generate an adaptive LD using the IMS-MD definition of LO's as the first part of my PhD thesis.
In the next three months I have to implement this adaptive LD in moodle to prove it in a real case and I think to base that implementation in the IMS CP resource code could be a good idea.
Do you have any code documentation about IMS CP module?

Greetings and thanks in advance.

In reply to Lluvia Morales

Hi Lluvia,

AFAIK all the code documentation about the IMS-CP resource type is in code itself.

Basically, it has one parser of manifests (deploy.php) and then, all the visualization stuff within the display() method of the resource_ims class (resource.class.php).

Right now the parser just skips any metadata information and goes directly to the "organizations" and "resources" parts of the manifest.

And one "tree" structure is built after parsing all the items. That structure is used to provide navigation and the TOC when displaying the package.

I guess that, if you want to add support for just MD (Metadata), it would be relatively easy to improve the parser to be able to read that information. For sure, the complex part will be how to store that info.

And, if you want to add support for LD (Learning Design) packages... then you'll have to rework the parser a lot, you know manifest internals are really different (although using current as base can be a good idea, agree).

Please, keep us informed! cool

Ciao smile

by Barry Smith -
Setup:

Moodle 1.9
Windows 2003 Server
PHP 5.2
mySQL

XAMPP Application Package 1.1.2.0

Hi,

I've setup my Moodle install and I'm now trying to see if I can install an IMS package as this will be a deal-breaker in getting Moodle approved by the college management!

I checked out the instructions for configuring the IMS CP. I've set up the repository folder and changed the 'repository_config.php' to reflect the correct locations.

$CFG->repository = "C:/Web Server/moodle/ims_repository";

As suggested by various users on Moodle community, I have also copied the 3 lines from the 'repository_config.php' to the 'config.php' file in the Moodle root.

So, now to see if it works.

When I go to a course home page and select the 'add a resource' drop down menu, the only option for IMS is 'Add an IMS Content Package'.

I aume this to be correct and select it. This moves to a new page where I have to enter a name for my package and 'Choose or upload a file'.

This button produces a pop-up window showing a file management system. This only lists folders within the course structure and not above it. The repository is not listed. The only buttons on here are:
Make a folder
Select all
Deselect all
Upload a file

How should I access the repository?

Please advise if you think I am doing something wrong or have missed something.

Thanks in advance,

Barry.
In reply to Barry Smith

by Barry Smith -
In answer to my own question, I have got to the point of deploying the IMS package, but this doesn't seem to make any progress.

The deploying window comes up and after a short time, the browser says Done, but the web page is still deploying, with no indication of progress.

The package is from a Live Text VLE software package and is 700Mb in size.

I'm guessing this may have something to do with it.

Is there anyway I can check to see if the package is deploying and just needs more time. Do I need to make ajustments to the Moodle configuration for the size of the IMS packages?

Any assistance most welcomed.

Cheers,

Barry.