stable version of task chain

stable version of task chain

by Robert Maran -
Number of replies: 6

Hello Gordon

Our institution has moved to a rental server. The company that administers this server has told our IT people that they are hesitant to upgrade the moodle version (currently 1.9.11) to the latest stable version of moodle because they can not confirm  that 3rd party modules (like task chain- now still quizport) will work or, they may develop problems and stop working. Our 1.9.11 site is mainly made up of quizport activities, so the rental server company is hesitant to upgrade the moodle version. As I am interested in upgrading to a later version of moodle, but at the same time wish to have some kind of guarantee that our quizport activities (or task chain activities as they would become) would work problem-free, what is, at the moment (if any) the latest stable version of taskchain and what version of moodle will it work problem-free on? 

Cheers

Robert

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Maran

Re: stable version of task chain

by Just H -

Taskchain is compatible with 2.8 (see here). While there perhaps look up any other 3rd party plugins you use. Personally I'd be concerned about being stuck on such an old version of Moodle as it's not even supported for security releases. I'd be insisting they upgrade or move to a new host if it was me.

Being so far behind can leave you stuck as upgrading may be a little "painfull) so obviously, create a test site first and go through the multiple upgrades to ensure all is OK or, depending on the size of your site, investigate recreating on a clean install and restoring backups (not sure how well it will handle that).

In reply to Just H

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Robert

as Justin points out, TaskChain works well on Moodle 2.8 and has been in "stable" state for over year. The only guarantee that I can give is that I will continue to support TaskChain in the same way that I have supported HotPot and QuizPort in the past.

I just updated out 1.9 site to 2.8, so I know it works. However, it is important to do things in the right order.

• update to latest 1.9 (with QuizPort)
  • update to latest 2.2 (without any plugins)
  • run Assignments update tool
  • if required, install Attendance and Questionnaire plugin
  • update to latest 2.8 (without any plugins)
  • install any other plugins (except TaskChain and QuizPort)
  • if required, install HotPot module
  • install TaskChain module
  • install QuizPort module

The last step will take a long time. It is probably best to leave it overnight. It will convert all the QuizPorts to TaskChains, including all the attempts and grades.

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Robert Maran -
Hi Gordon

Thanks for your detailed reply. I am playing around with task chain now a server I have rented just to see if any issues arise.  

Are you saying that quiz port also will work work on moodle 2.8? If so, what is the advantage of switching to task chain?

I  zipped a file and dropped it into the source file area. I then deleted the hot potatoes files and just added the html files. (I did this because in moodle 1.9 i could edit the html file -sometimes- if there was some typo or other error or I wanted to add some text. I wonder if I can still do this in moodle 2.8.5?) When I created a task chain, I notice that there is no background color anymore. Is this some kind of moodle setting issue or if i want to keep the background color, do I need to create the task chain with the hot potato files?

Cheers

Robert

In reply to Robert Maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

QuizPort works on Moodle 2.x but only for the purposes of (1) upgrading every QuizPort to a TaskChain, and (2) to allow you to import QuizPorts from a Moodle 1.9 backup into Moodle 2.x TaskChain.

If you drag-and-drop files into the "Source file" area of a TaskChain, then the only way you can edit them is to edit them on your local PC, and then upload them again.

If you set up a "File system" repository on your Moodle site, and you use aliases to those files when creating TaskChains or HotPots, then any changes you make to the files in the "File system" repository will be reflected in the TaskChain and HotPot activities that are linked to those files.

For example, if you setup a folder on your server that you can upload files to using FTP or a file synchronization system such as WebDAV, SVN or GIT, and then add that folder as a "File system" repository in Moodle, then you can modifiy the file on your local PC and upload or synchronize that file to the folder on your server. You may find that a convenient way to upload and share files between Moodle activities.

All this has quite a steep learning curve, and is rather frustating and befuddling until you get your round the fact that "Course files" are gone in Moodle 2.x, and they have replaced by file areas within each and every activity.

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Robert Maran -

Hi Gordon

Thanks for the reply. One question I did ask and you overlooked to answer was why  is there no longer any background color in hot potatoes activity in a task chain?  What setting do I need to make to get background color?

Cheers

Robert

In reply to Robert Maran

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Robert,

try the "Body styles" setting available under Site administration -> Plugins -> Activity modules -> TaskChain module. (see attached screenshot)

regards
Gordon

Attachment taskchain.body.styles.png