Using LDAP for students and teachers

Using LDAP for students and teachers

by Richard Griffin -
Number of replies: 2

I have been using our LDAP servers for teacher logins and importing students from a flat file, but I would rather use LDAP for both types of accounts. What kind of strategy could be used to differentiate between student and staff accounts? Also, will student accounts be created/available to enroll in courses before they actually log in for the first time if I use an LDAP connection rather than an import? We have chosen for students not to be able to enroll in a course and the teacher must "assign" them to the class. Currently, when a teacher logs in for the first time it requires them to create the Profile but students do not, since their accounts were created from the file.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Griffin

Re: Using LDAP for students and teachers

by Martín Langhoff -
You can just change the LDAP config to include the student ldap context too. Moodle internally doesn't differentiate -- they are all users. Student and teacher are roles in relation to a course. And that is a good thing ;)
In reply to Martín Langhoff

Re: Using LDAP for students and teachers

by Richard Griffin -
I will try that, thanks. First, I have another hurdle to cross; during the summer I upgraded from version 1.4.4+ to 1.5.1 and today I have just found out that when a teacher that has never logged into the site before tries to sign on, they are presented with the Profile Update page but can not enter any information into the fields. Any clues what may be happening? Today, I did upgrade to the latest patched 1.5.2+ version and that did not fix the problem.