quiz, essay, no notification to admin that it was submitted

quiz, essay, no notification to admin that it was submitted

by Chip Wiegand -
Number of replies: 7

I just set up an essay type quiz and tested it in a test account, reviewed it and it appears to be submitted. Then when I log in with my admin account I see no notification that there is a quiz to be graded. I also did the quiz while in my admin account, submitted it, and still no notification. I can't find any ungraded quiz anywhere. What am I missing?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chip Wiegand

Re: quiz, essay, no notification to admin that it was submitted

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If the test account enrolled in the course as a student?

When you are looking at the quiz as a teacher/admin, you should see a link like "Attempts: 1".

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Chip Wiegand -

OK, after much fussing around clicking everywhere I finally found a quiz that needed to be "marked", I didn't know that "mark" meant grade, first, second, why doesn't the system simply send me, the admin/teacher, a message that says "so-n-so completed quiz such-n-such and it needs to be graded, click here to do so" ? Either I just don't know the system well enough yet, or it is not very intuitive on where to find out if any quizzes have been completed and are in need of being graded. I finally found it by clicking on each course and then on quizzes and eventually found the one quiz. Surely there's an more intuitive way to get there.

Just my 2cents worth.

Thanks,

Chip

In reply to Chip Wiegand

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you are a teacher in the course, you should receive notifications about submitted assignments if that is what you set in the assignment.  As site admin, do you really want to be notified any time any student submits anything?!!  If so, you can set the permission in permissions.

The My Moodle page will also show courses that have items needing attention...but again, you need to have a teacher role in the course to see them.

There are also plugins that you can use to find items that need to be graded (Grade Me/AJAX Marking).

In reply to Emma Richardson

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Emma,

Could you elaborate on the My Moodle page showing courses that have items needing attention? Below is a screen shot of what one of my teachers would see when they click on MyHome after they have caught up with grading in a course.

The GradeMe block will show which new items need grading, whereas the MyHome page seems to only show a cumulative submission status --> do you know if there is a way to change the MyHome to just show ungraded items that need attention?

If this is possible, it would make my teachers super happy. Thanks,

In reply to John Provasnik

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Unfortunately, not without some coding to Moodle core.  I am actually curious by the Quizzes due status - is the user also a student?  Normally, there is a just references to items that need attention, such as the forums and journals sections.  Or I believe that is how it is supposed to work but I have seen some forum posts where this page is not quite working as expected. 

In reply to Emma Richardson

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

No, that user is not a student. Here is a screen shot of a teacher who is also enrolled as a student, but you'll notice this adds another line about Submission status.

In reply to John Provasnik

by Emma Richardson -

Oh ok.  I don't look at that page a lot.  My teachers work more on a time managed course so know which assignments are due.  Teachers should receive emails on submissions if it is set at the assignment level and I think you will probably find Grade Me will probably be the best way to serve your needs.  You can set it to show on the My Home Page.