Self-Enrollment Help (Newbee)

Self-Enrollment Help (Newbee)

by Scott Autry -
Number of replies: 7

I'm new to Moddle.  I Googled on self-enrollment and have tried to follow the instructions at this page.

I have created a website for my school using DreamWeaver and hosted on Bluehost, and it is working fine, but I wanted to add the ability to track and analyze the results to some activities.  

I saw Bluehost had a Moodle option.  I installed it.

What I'd like to be able to do:

Allow any person who navigates to the Moodle portion of the site to self-enroll in any/all courses.

What I get when I navigate to the page when I'm not logged in is:

Enrolment options

Guests can not access this course, please try to log in.

???

The self-enrollment eye is open.

I'm not sure what I've done wrong, and my brain is jello after trying to figure out how to upload iSpring and HotPot quizes and so on.

In the main porition of the site right now, I used DreamWeaver to require a login:Password for some folders/pages within the site.  I have not required any other login stuff.

I think I have the iSpring Quizmaker uploading figured out.  I'd like to test it as a Guest would experience - including self-enrollment, but I can't get past the enrollment page...

And I'm tired....
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Autry

Re: Self-Enrollment Help (Newbee)

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

That is because users still need to login - i.e. they need an account to be able to self enrol.  You can enable self registration and then they can register.  Once registered and logged in, they will be able to self enrol.  Without some sort of login process, they will have no way to track progress etc.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Scott Autry -

Thanks.

I think I have at least 2 issues I have to address:

How do I setup an authentication service on the website I run through Bluehost?

How do I set up an authentication on a local server that has no Internet access?

Our program has a server for our 8 or so computer labs.  (We have no tech guy - which I know doesn't make sense.) But, we are not allowed to connect the Internet for security reasons.

So, Moodle and any needed apps will have to be installed on the server - including an authentication method - and self-authenticating due to how students are moved here and there in classes.

So, I need an idea of which authentication methods will suit these needs out of the list at

Manage authentication

Available authentication plugins

???

In reply to Scott Autry

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok, firstly there is a ton of authentication info here - https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Authentication

It is a huge list though.  If your Moodle server has no internet access, you will only be able to use the email based self registration if the student email server is also on the LAN.  If not, you are pretty much stuck with manual authentication but this can be handled pretty easily with a CSV upload. 

https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Upload_users is the documenation page for that.

by Scott Autry -

Thanks you again.  Much.  I've been starting out on a few apps that can help us do more with our curriculum, and nobody at work is a tech person, and my brain is jello from trying too much at one time.  It is very nice to have someone help point me in the right direction...

I have the authentication system setup.  I now see that it is built into Moodle.  I figured it was but wasn't seeing how it works.  I misunderstood the email verification - thinking it would require me or someone else at work to visual authenticate each user which would take time before a user could access the material.

I now see that the email authentication is automated.  That it sends an email that requires clicking a link to verify the email address the user gives is real...

Thanks again for the help.

If you are willing and able, I'm also having an issue with the quiz results.

I purchased the full version of iSpring Quizmaker, but I don't know how to connect it to the HotPot module scoring system.

In iSpring, I put the HotPot index.php location http://eltjeddah.org\mod\hotpot\index.php into the form telling the quiz where to send the detailed results.  It didn't work.  I got an error that it could not connect when the test was finished.

That is probably why the score results within Moodle say each attempt is "in progress"...

I don't know what to edit the script to or another way to connect iSpring Quizmaker to the Hotpot Module or to Moodle.

Ideally, I'd like to use the iSpring opening form to collect info on quiz takers, because if I can get this up and running, the online version of the site will be promoted in all the military language schools in the country, and it would be good to collect specific information on what programs the user is in and so on...

In reply to Scott Autry

by Emma Richardson -

I have never used iSpring but I imagine that you will have to import the iSpring module (maybe as a scorm package?) into the course directly.  You can't just use the url you have because Moodle have no way of knowing which hotpot module you are connecting to.

by Scott Autry -

Does Scorm automatically connect to result analysis or can be set to connect to it easily?

I just noticed in iSpring publishing options, it has a "learning course" menu with options: Scorm 1.2, 2004 - editions 1-4, AICC, Blackboard 9, Experience API.

I've never used any of those before but have just been trying Scorm...

iSpring seems to allow you to gather far more user info at the start of the quiz.  It also has a audio playback feature that allows you to autoplay or show controls but also limit the number of times a user can hear the audio - so you can set it to 1 to simulate the type of testing our students will have on the official tests.

I tried to save a 1 question quiz in HTML5 then examine the code in Dreamweaver but it isn't coded in a way you can decipher.

Both the user info input and playback-limiting options are very nice for what I want to do, but if I can't figure out how to get Moodle to receive the results to show the info along with score analysis, that part will be moot... 

In reply to Scott Autry

by Emma Richardson -

Export as Scorm and then add a new Scorm activity.  Results will pass to the gradebook.