Importing from another Database

Importing from another Database

by Jeffery Watkins -
Number of replies: 15

I created a 800+ word glossary for NY State's Global History and Geography curriculum which is here: http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/global/vocab/index.cfm, that I would like to import.  It is in a MS Access database.  Any ideas how to go about this???

Jeff Watkins

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

Re: Importing from another Database

by Williams Castillo -

Currently, you don't have any way to do it directly by moodle.

However, I can think of two workarounds right now:

1) Create a CVS file in MSAccess (with Glossary's tables structure) and then restore it in phpMyAdmin or whatever program you use to handle the MySQL databse.

2) Download MyODBC from mysql.com, create a DSN to your moodle database, and then attach the glossary tables to your MSAccess database. And finally, just run a couple of insert queries on them.

I have not tested this approach, but I can't imagine why it can't work.

In reply to Williams Castillo

by Jeffery Watkins -

You lost me at however.  Is there a tutorial for the database challenged somewhere that might explain some of what you are suggesting?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff Watkins

by Jeffery Watkins -

I figured out a work around.  It is probably not the most time saving procedure, but it works.

Thanks for the help everyone... your posts put me on the path.

Jeff

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Post it, man! smile Someone else will be along in hours wanting the same thing. smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jeffery Watkins -

Turns out my work around crashed my moodle installation.  So, after I reinstall moodle, I will begin entering the glossary manually.  Easier than the 4 hours I spent today giving myself a migraine.

mixed.gifJeff Watkins

by John Gone -
Good Luck with this task Jeffery, that's a great resource! Just spent several minutes there myself, I'll be back. I'd like to send my kids there for several hours. In fact I'd like to point lots of people to that site, do 'em a world of good to learn some of that stuff.
All the best,
John
In reply to John Gone

by Jeffery Watkins -

I finally have it working... www.socialstudies.ws/digital click on Classrooms, then Global History and Geography, then Global Glossary. 

Thanks to everyone for helping out on this project.  This is what makes Open Source the wave of the future.

Jeff Watkins

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

by Jeffery Watkins -

spoke to soon, now I am getting these errors when I set the glossary to autolink.

Warning: Unknown modifier 'E' in /home2/username/www/digital/mod/glossary/dynalink.php on line 81

Warning: Wrong datatype in array_unique() call in /home2/username/www/digital/mod/glossary/dynalink.php on line 83

Any ideas?

by Williams Castillo -

It seems that one or more of your entries are causing an undetected problem in the parsing function... If you don't mind, I would like to take a look at your data in order to see what it is... You can sent it by email if you don't want to make it public avalaible.

By the way... Now the problem is not in your end.. smile

Regards,
Will

by Williams Castillo -

I've visited your site... And saw your glossary... Great work... Congrats!

I also noted a little... something.. it may be an error... maybe not.

You have both style cellheading and cellheading2 with the same value... It makes me difficult to identify in which frame I currently am.

Perhaps you should play with the colors a few and I'm sure you will find a great combination!

All the best,
Will

by Jeffery Watkins -

I did that on purpose to make the site less block like in appearance.  I can put it back to a standard them until this issue is sorted out if it helps any.

Jeff Watkins

by Williams Castillo -

It's no necessary to do that.. if you did that on purpouse.. just leave.. That was just a comment...

Anyway...  I've made some advances... Your glossary is now fully function on my end... It would be great if we can arrange a chat... I'll open a chat room here and be there some minutes.

Regards,

Will

by Jeffery Watkins -

Everything is fixed and working fantastic!!!!approve.gifapprove.gifapprove.gifapprove.gifapprove.gifapprove.gif

Williams and I spent about 2 hours in the chat room here and figured it out.... he did the figuring, I did the uploading and testing.  wink.gif  The chat room feature allowed great working communication, and we experienced no flaws at all with it.

Again, my thanks go out to Williams for the time he spent this morning helping me out.  He is what open source is all about.  And to Martin and Moodle, for providing the place to make it all happen.

Glossary is at www.socialstudies.ws/digital under Classrooms -> Global History.  Guest access is on.

Jeff Watkins

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hey Jeff,

A little bit off topic and not the intention to spoil your big grin, but it is possible with the guest-account to add and delete comments. May be that is not your intention to be possible. If it is your intention, forget this remark.

By the way, great glossary. Do you have the intention to translate it to Dutch ?thoughtful.gifsmiley.gif

In reply to koen roggemans

by Jeffery Watkins -

Thanks for the warning... lol.  I have turned off comments.

I do not really have any intentions as of yet, I am still basking in the glow of getting it uploaded and working properly.  Truthfully, I would not know how to go about translating it at this point.  If you are interested, e-mail me and we can discuss it.

Jeff Watkins