Many students not receiving forum notifications via email

Many students not receiving forum notifications via email

by Prashad Wang -
Number of replies: 12

Hi,

Many of my students are not receiving email notifications for new forum posts.  Where could I start looking for a solution?

Thanks,
Prashad

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Prashad Wang

Re: Many students not receiving forum notifications via email

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Diagnosing email problems can be difficult as you don't have any control once the email has left your system. It is possible that your emails are being sent but being blocked anywhere between your ISP and the spam traps on your clients machines. However you could start by taking a look at the logs generated by the cron process of your machine and also trying to see if there is a pattern in who does not receive emails, e.g. people using yahoo have a problem but gmail users do not etc etc.

You say many are not receiving, does that mean they receive some but not all, or they receive none at all?

In reply to Marcus Green

by Prashad Wang -

Thanks Marcus.  I'm following up with my web host as I have limited access to the system logs.

The problem varies.  Some people are not receiving anything at all.  There are others who get some, but not all, of the emails.

In reply to Prashad Wang

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Prashad

If some do get e-mail, your Moodle is sending or at least trying to send. It is absolutely necessary that you read the mailbox where the bounced mail land.

I believe you checked the obvious like "no e-mail" setting in profiles.

I any case, this question is not for the Moodle developers, there is no known bug in Moodle of this scale. I suggest "General problems" forum.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Eugene Matusov -

Hello--

I'm running Moodle 2.9.1+ on my Windows 2012R server. My students do not get forum email notification, even though I set all of them for daily email digest. But all my teachers receive daily email notifications from their class forums. Even more, when I enroll a fake student account in one of my classes, it was not get notifications. However, when I changed its role to teacher, it started getting email notifications. Where can I switch on students' forum email notifications?

Thanks,

Eugene

In reply to Prashad Wang

by Brendan Anderson -

I have had this problem and it was a PHP max execution time issue. A lot of resources can be used up generating and sending all the emails and it can take a long time.

In reply to Brendan Anderson

by Eugene Matusov -

Dear Brendan--

Thanks for your reply. I have PHP max execution time set to 6000 (max_execution_time = 6000). Is it enough? Should I increase it?

My moodle sends forum email notifications to all teachers.

Thanks,

Eugene

In reply to Prashad Wang

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Prasad

With regards to your students, the E-mail notifications could be going into their Spam/Junk folder of their E-mail client (Ms Outlook, GMail, etc.). Have you asked them to check their Spam/Junk folder?

Regards
Frankie Kam 

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Eugene Matusov -

Thanks, Franklin, for your suggestion. I tested it with my fake account and your hypothesis did not pass my test. I used my fake account in one of my classes. When this account had the teacher role, I was able to get forum email notifications. But when I assigned to it the student role, I wasn't. The problem dies not seem anything to with spam of the user systems.

Any other idea?

Thanks,

Eugene 

In reply to Prashad Wang

by maryam norouzi -

Hi

I have some issue like your one. We have a site based on the moodle 2.7. Till about 1 month ago each post in forums was received by email. But now no email is sent to users. I am admin of the site and I did not change any configuration about it. I do not know why this happen. Do you know what I should do to fix this problem?

regards,

Norouzi

In reply to maryam norouzi

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Which of the suggestions in this thread have you done so far?

In reply to Marcus Green

by maryam norouzi -

Hi

I know that the emails are not in spam. I checked forum configurations. I do not know what else I should do.  I am novice in moodle, but I should fix this problem.

regards,

Norouzi

In reply to Marcus Green

by maryam norouzi -

I checked forum configuration, as I selected before, Subscription Mode is Force subscription. but it does not work.