Live video streaming

Live video streaming

by deb chit -
Number of replies: 24

I have a few questions. We are not a university. I am a continuing education business. As such we have courses in slllc.org/slllclms. I need to post handouts, and tests, exams. I need to know how to do it.

I also do not know how to get the courses in either.

Please help

Also, will moodle support live video streaming? thank you in advance.

(Edited by Mary Cooch to clarify title - original submission Tuesday, 10 March 2015, 5:31 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to deb chit

Re: Live video streaming

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello again Deb. It's better to post just one question  per thread as that makes it easier for people to reply to you. (Here's the forums help page) So I changed your title to reflect the second question, as I think you already asked about posting handouts in another forum thread but here is the documentation again just in case: File resource settings

If by live video streaming you actually mean people having a video conference via Moodle then there is something called Big Blue Button which can be added to your Moodle to do this - Moodle as standard doesn't have the feature. If you mean videos playing live, well, Moodle won't set that up for you but you can certainly link to a site where live streaming is taking place.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by deb chit -

will check into the reference for video

I need to post courses will check what you say. not sure if it is different in my site whichi am not a school. slllc.org/slllclms

In reply to deb chit

by dawn alderson -

Hi,

Sounds as though you are looking to start from scratch with Moodle. So you need to download it (latest version) .you need a host if you have a huge number of users....you then need to transfer your courses in that website you have there, so that you can use Moodle's tools in your teaching.  As for the activities and resources, it is a good idea to think about what it is you want the students to know, understand or develop skill-wise....or of course all three outcomes, then refer to the tools to see which might suit your needs to enable engagement with your desired outcomes in mind.  Big blue button is one option...but can be tricky sometimes in Moodle, I remember this might have been due to sync issues on an occasion...not sure.  Google on air (there is a proper name for it-hangouts I think!) can be effective too, I know Mary and Helen use this tool live with the Moodle MOOC, Mary might know more about that in this thread.

In sum, you need to go to the Moodle docs...and that can be done by simply Google-ing each item in that stepped- list I have outlined there. So start with Moodle download and hosting in the docs. 

Hope this helps,

Dawn  

In reply to dawn alderson

by deb chit -

Not  just starting. HAve a site and a business. Want to include video courses on moodle for customers. Just need all options. thank you

In reply to deb chit

by dawn alderson -

I see.  Well you might be able to see the live performances, how you can engage your audience of learners live, in the following link, so a Moodle course and exemplars using Google hangouts here:

https://learn.moodle.net/

but I am not sure if there is guest access anymore.

by deb chit -

What I want to use is for is to offer courses by video. is this possible? Just want to confirm

In reply to deb chit

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes it is possible. If you mean pre-recorded videos then you would have to make your videos and then upload them to a Moodle course. If you mean live video streaming, video conferencing, live lessons via video then you would need something like Big Blue Button I mentioned before (or something like Google Hangouts on Air) and make a link in your Moodle course to them.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by dawn alderson -

I suppose, it is tricky to ultimately distinguish between the value of synchronous and asynchronous media for learning and teaching when it is unclear as to what the purpose actually is, to be fair.

1. if it is to embed videos then that is pretty easy in Moodle-we all know that...it is a question of cut and paste url into Ed...or html it.

2. for live webinars...this is quite different...BBB....is more of a conference, cum select participatory tool, and it does have sync issues as I said before.  You cant have 100 students on BBB at the same time-fact.

3. Google hangouts is an interesting tool because you can have video/text....and twitter at the same time...as in the Moodle Mooc-right Mary?  It is a good way to take live questions whilst the teacher is on air.

4. Dr Nellie Deutsch does a good turn with this type of thing in Moodle with WIZ IQ.....superb set up and reaches a mass audience for online L&T

5. I know there is a chap at Southampton (Prof Mike Wald) who is working with some kit to blend sync/async...and that looks great....but I need to spend some time looking at that.....and get back to him in terms of Moodle-fruitful-progress....he has some great ideas, as I said.

Essentially, tis about putting the learner first, they are the ones signing up to engage with the online oppts....sync/async...........so, fitness for purpose is what matters most.

Embedding videos  should be very easy if you are using moodle, and live engagement oppts should not really be a big deal in 2015, I could be wrong.

D    

by deb chit -

what I need to do is offer and want to do an alternative form of professional development thru use of videos.

I am still not sure how to post exams handous, and new courses . my site is different than a university not sure which buttoms to press.

Where can I see a sample of the video streaming? Some of what you refer to I am unfamiliar with I am a beginner I am very motivated to learn thank you

In reply to deb chit

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Deb, yes offering courses by video is absolutely possible in Moodle, you may want to consider a streaming server for your VOD (Video On Demand) and Live Streaming (not to mention stream technologies you want to use, HLS, Pseudo, RMTP etc), and Moodle will provide a managed environment of your content/videos. A streaming server works independent of Moodle, but once properly setup, you can use links within Moodle to play the VOD/Live Stream.

For streaming server setup, you can choose Amazon S3 with Cloud Front for CDN (Depending on if your users are scattered all around the globe), or Google Cloud, or Cloud Host from Rackspace, other than that you can setup your independent streaming server on a Cloud Hosting (Digital Ocean, Linode etc) as depending on your screnario, setting up an independent Dedicated server MAY be an over kill. Now speaking of Streaming servers, there are few, Like Wowza, Red5, and most recommended is Nimble Streamer (can run on one core and mare 512MB RAM) and even can be setup with your Moodle server.

In reply to Usman Asar

by deb chit -

Thank you so much. I would like to read more about it. The object is to provide an online learning experience

through print based courses, powerpoint and some video . I would like to read more about this. Bottom line, can it be hosted on a joomla site? thank you

In reply to deb chit

by Usman Asar -

Deb, Yes a streaming server can be used in conjunction with any CMS or website, whilst your query specifically mentioned Joomla. Honestly, I dont have any experience working with Joomla so not in a very good position to say that your requirements regarding PowerPoint Slides, course materials and videos all together will be met in Joomla, but surely with my experience in Moodle, I can vouch for Moodle that can provide all that plus much more as everything is already ready to use in Moodle, whilst in Joomla, you may have to start from scratch building upon a content management system that may will take some time to get ready to start with (not to mention that aftermath in testing and bugs).

In reply to Usman Asar

by deb chit -

Thank you for this. Given I am a beginner I have a long road I think

I am trying to add my course, to my moodle 2.8 url is slllc.org/slllclms I want to make sure of the steps please

You turn editing on . and add resource. I am trying to figure out what to press then. thank you for all your help.

I am just beginning. thank you will try to understand the streaming info. I know with Joomdle its possible. I wish that forum was as helpful and professional as this one is but it is not.

In reply to deb chit

by Usman Asar -

Deb, I seriously doubt Joomdle giving inline support for a streaming video, because it simple can't. They may be calling video embedding option as video streaming integration possibility, but saying that Joomdle comes with built-in streaming server that can handle Live and/or VOD on ABR then its not, an independent streaming server is a definite requirement. Though out of the Box Moodle does support integration of YouTube and Vimeo.

whilst reading your reply, I went over to have a look on Joomdle, not that I want to pull your legs from something that you understand and are comfortable with, but first thing I notice in a website is their update status, and on their website they couldn't even put their date updated (2009 - 2014), secondly their plug-ins are in limited number and are PAID, whilst you'll find some 900+ Free plug-ins to use at Moodle and updates are Weekly, plus a forum support more active than anything else, also many forum members are already using the Moodle like the way you want to. I definitely dont want you to get stuck at a dead end where updates become limited at Joomdle.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Usman Asar

by deb chit -

I am sorry for the confusion. WAs not thinking of joomdle for live stream issue. I am just having trouble with joomdle and getting info as a side issue. I will be reviewing all soon. thank you

I do not find the forum professional or helpul. and since I have joomla site I am doing I need this. slllc.org/j3

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: joomdle recommendation

by deb chit -

I know this is not joomdle. I need and not the forum. It is not friendly. A recommendation of someone or somewhere I can get info on joomdle so I can connect the joomla 3.4 site with my moodle 2.8

In reply to deb chit

Re: hello

by deb chit -

still need someone to help me post courses as I have them posted

and I am having trouble giving a user access please send help

how do you give a user access to a certain course?

In reply to deb chit

by Karthik Murali -

Hi

I am looking to stream Videos using Moodle. These Videos are in mp4 format and the size of each of these videos is about 300 MB ( average). I have been successful in doing the same, but the problem is that streaming these videos occupies too much bandwidth and is not permissible.

I am now looking to place the application (Moodle) in a central server and the videos in a different machine, and Source the videos by using the URL option under "Add a Resource". However, this seems complex as the videos are in mp4 format and not html.

I am unable to exercise the "embed" option (as in case of Youtube videos) in the description box for the same reason. Would embedding solve the bandwidth problem ? If yes, how can it be done?

Is there a viable solution to this problem without having to incorporate the videos in the application?  

In reply to Karthik Murali

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

"However, this seems complex as the videos are in mp4 format and not html."

When I do this, it works fine.  Why do you say it "seems complex"?

by Usman Asar -

Murali,

keeping videos on a separate server (specially in your case as average size is 300MB) is a sensible decision.

you can, use a third party player like JWPlayer and make use of its code to embed in the Moodle, it wont be using embed video option, but a small code that is required to run JWPlayer inside moodle, the file URL will then be replaced by something like "http://videoserverIP/video.mp4".

Other recommended solution is using third party video streaming site, like Vimeo.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Karthik Murali -

Hi

Thanks for your inputs. I have explored the option of using a third party site , but here's the thing. I cannot expose the application to internet right now (for security purposes). Thus the complexity. I would like to know if these videos can be sourced from a separate server (intranet) without having to upload the video.

by Usman Asar -
I am now having difficulty assessing the situation, as you mentioned bandwidth constraints, and now you are mentioning "not exposing the application" to internet, so where is the bandwidth limitation coming from then?
yes you can run videos locally as well without uploading them to a server. but if you are offering videos globally, then don't call it intranet, it becomes internet.