TEX appearance

TEX appearance

by venkatesan iyengar -
Number of replies: 6

The following is the equation appears when I try to execute in normal edit mode

$$\begin{align}\left({\frac{{\partial \ln Q\left( {N,V,\beta } \right)}}{{\partial \beta }}} \right)_{N,V}\quad &= \frac{1}{{Q\left( {N,V,\beta } \right)}}\left( {\frac{{\partial \sum {e^{ - \beta E_j \left( {N,V} \right)}}}}{{\partial \beta }}} \right)_{N,V} \ &= \frac{1}{{Q\left( {N,V,\beta } \right)}}\sum\limits_j {\left[ { - E_j \left( {N,V} \right)} \right]e^{ - \beta E_j \left( {N,V} \right)} } \ &=  - \sum\limits_j {\frac{{E_j \left( {N,V} \right)e^{ - \beta E_j \left( {N,V} \right)} }}{{Q\left( {N,V,\beta } \right)}}}  \ \end{align}$$

and this is the appearance when enter the same equation in html source edit mode

$$\begin{align}\left({\frac{{\partial \ln Q\left( {N,V,\beta } \right)}}{{\partial \beta }}} \right)_{N,V}\quad &= \frac{1}{{Q\left( {N,V,\beta } \right)}}\left( {\frac{{\partial \sum {e^{ - \beta E_j \left( {N,V} \right)}}}}{{\partial \beta }}} \right)_{N,V} \\ &= \frac{1}{{Q\left( {N,V,\beta } \right)}}\sum\limits_j {\left[ { - E_j \left( {N,V} \right)} \right]e^{ - \beta E_j \left( {N,V} \right)} } \\ &= - \sum\limits_j {\frac{{E_j \left( {N,V} \right)e^{ - \beta E_j \left( {N,V} \right)} }}{{Q\left( {N,V,\beta } \right)}}} \\ \end{align}$$

and this is what it appears using mimetex.cgi from my server

mimetex.cgi?\begin{align}\left({\frac{{\partial \ln Q\left( {N,V,\beta } \right)}}{{\partial \beta }}} \right)_{N,V}\quad &= \frac{1}{{Q\left( {N,V,\beta } \right)}}\left( {\frac{{\partial \sum {e^{ - \beta E_j \left( {N,V} \right)}}}}{{\partial \beta }}} \right)_{N,V}  \\ &= \frac{1}{{Q\left( {N,V,\beta } \right)}}\sum\limits_j {\left[ { - E_j \left( {N,V} \right)} \right]e^{ - \beta E_j \left( {N,V} \right)} }  \\ &=  - \sum\limits_j {\frac{{E_j \left( {N,V} \right)e^{ - \beta E_j \left( {N,V} \right)} }}{{Q\left( {N,V,\beta } \right)}}} \ \end{align}

Is the tex filter in moodle is different from that of 'forkosh'

Average of ratings: -
In reply to venkatesan iyengar

Re: TEX appearance

by John Forkosh -
I believe you're right that the version installed here is not particularly up-to-date. As you observed, it seems to have been installed before align environment support was added. I don't recognize the partition-function-like expression you illustrated, but assume it's being rendered correctly. Please follow up if you're having any problem with that.
In reply to John Forkosh

by venkatesan iyengar -
Sorry John,
The expression is a part of derivation of average energy,$$$$ equation and I gave it as an example to show that the tex filter fails whenever this kind to expressions are written. Is there any new version for moodle available for download? Can you provide the cgi binary version (windows and linux) with \textcelsius and \acute{a} added to update my cgi-bin folder?

Thankyou,

by John Forkosh -
I updated the linux version in the "Precompiled Binaries" subsection of http://www.forkosh.com/mimetex.html But I'm guessing you really want the windows version, which I won't have an opportunity to do for about a week. Check the "Last Updated" date next to the windows download link in about a week to see if it's been updated.

And when you say, "the tex filter fails whenever this kind of expression is written," I'm still assuming the kind of expression you're referring to contains $$$\begin{align}...\end{align}$$$, and that you haven't found problems rendering the mathematical parts of those expressions.
In reply to John Forkosh

by venkatesan iyengar -

Thanks for the binaries and I'm on a linux webhost and my localhost is windows. Yes you are right. the problem comes when \begin{align}..\end{aling} appears and also in other few cases whenever I type quantum mechanics. Also I have the following problem. The \overbrace{}^{} also failed both in moodle tex filter and mimetex.cgi and also in your website

snap2

$$E_l (N,V) = \overbrace {\varepsilon _i ^a (V) + \varepsilon _j ^b (V) +\varepsilon _k ^c (V) + \cdots }^{Nterms}$$

I want the overbrace to appear over the full equation but i do not see that. why it is not appearing?

Thanks for your help

by John Forkosh -
Okay, I fixed that problem. The input
$$$E_l (N,V) = \overbrace {\varepsilon _i ^a (V) + \varepsilon _j ^b (V) + \varepsilon _k ^c (V) + \cdots }^{N\mbox{ terms}}$$$
should now render
mimetex.cgi?\large E_l (N,V) = \overbrace {\varepsilon _i ^a (V) + \varepsilon _j ^b (V) +\varepsilon _k ^c (V) + \cdots }^{N\mbox{ terms}}

Your expression also illustrates some superscript problems that you didn't mention, but which are now also fixed. You can download the corrected source from http://www.forkosh.com/mimetex.zip or the corrected pre-compiled linux binary from the corresponding download link on http://www.forkosh.com/mimetex.html (so far, only the linux binary has been updated with these corrections).
In reply to John Forkosh

by venkatesan iyengar -
Thanks john

you are really fast and helpful. Is there a possiblity of updating the moodle tex filter also.