Is there any way to use Moodle without cookies?

Is there any way to use Moodle without cookies?

by Peter Kupfer -
Number of replies: 2
I have just started using Moodle and I am blown away and my students liked it to. I teach high school and at home some of my students were having issues with cookies. I have resolved most, but I have one family who has a firewall from the dad's work that won't allow cookies in and he isn't allowed to change it.

Is there anyway this person can use moodle, that is take quizzes and things, without using cookies?

Thanks.

Peter Kupfer
peschtra@yahoo.com
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Kupfer

Re: Is there any way to use Moodle without cookies?

by James Robertson -
Aren't cookies the means of passing user information (e.g., identifying who is attempting the quiz, etc)?  So you would need some way of passing this data.
In reply to James Robertson

Re: Is there any way to use Moodle without cookies?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Cookies are how web applications maintain "state", i.e. an idea of what information was accessed previous to the current page. Without some way of storing state each page request will be in isolation, thus there is no concept of  logging in. Although there are ways of maintaining state without cookies (e.g. URL rewriting and hidden fields), I believe Moodle, like most serious web applications relies on cookies and thus they are mandatory. Note that without cookies the experience of the web in general is very seriously degraded.