Editing config.php

Editing config.php

by Ian Geldard -
Number of replies: 3

Hello, I'm just trying to setup Moodle on my XP laptop to get a look and feel how it works. I've tried to follow the installation documentation and have downloaded and unzipped EasyPHP. Im a bit stumped by the config.php file. When I try and edit it with Notepad it looks a mess, Ive tried switching word wrap on/off and changing fonts (default is Lucinda Console 10pt) but it does not seem to wrap properly. What is the best font and size to use when editing? BTW I'm a science teacher at a secondary school, not a sysadmin.

Ian Geldard
Sittingbourne Community College
Kent, UK

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Geldard

Re: Editing config.php

by Larry Shield -
Try opening it up in Wordpad first, save it, and then open it up in notepad. Be sure you remove all the blank lines and blank characters at the end of your notepad session. Go to the end of the notepad session and backspace until the cursor sits at the last character.
In reply to Ian Geldard

by Just H -
G'day Ian

Notepad is a bit messy and may even introduce errors (extra carriage return at the end).

A better solution I think is HTML-Kit http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

This has a multitude of functions that can be a bit daunting when you first open it but I think worth the download for a couple of reasons (being a newbie to all this myself):

* you can use it for ftp
* because of the first point, you can open, edit and save any file actually on your server
* when you open files, such as config.php it opens with line numbers so easier to track things down when you get "Error ... on line 123 etc."

Then when you get into it it can also help with changing the look and feel of your site by using the built in CSS editor.

As mentioned, I am new to this too and have hardly scratched the surface of HTML-Kit but it looks like it will become an invaluable tool . . . when if figure out what everything is smile
In reply to Ian Geldard

by James Robertson -

Just to add to Harry's note,

HTMkit is a great free download.  I am new to web applications and have scarcely scratched the surface myself, but I downloaded it when I downloaded Moodle and find myself using daily.  You can edit the Moodle files using Wordpad or Notepad, but HTMLkit provides a much better interace, including line numbers, colors for keywords and comments, undo capability...

I am a little surprised the Moodle install instructions don't recommend it.  For me at least, it's hard to imagine setting up and maintaining my site without it.