Uploading HotPot Mashed Quiz version 6 to Moodle

Uploading HotPot Mashed Quiz version 6 to Moodle

by Mark Callagher -
Number of replies: 3

Hullo,

I am new to this game and have been learning how to use both Moodle LMS and Hot Potatoes 6 (after much research it appears to me to be the best quiz option). I made various question types in HotPot and then Mashed them into one Quiz. I now have tried uploading the files. Questions I have:

1. Is it best to use masher before I upload the files or after
  2. It appears that I have to upload all files individually rather than as a complete folder of files - is this the only way.
  3. Do I have to upload all my pictures (included in Jmatch) separately? Is there no way that the Jmatch will see that it needs the pictures and upload them when I upload Jmatch.
  4. I have uploaded everything I can including my index page (made from Jmatch) but I am not able to get my quiz to work.

Please help - is there a tutorial for this somewhere?

Mark Callagher - new and keen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Callagher

Re: Uploading HotPot Mashed Quiz version 6 to Moodle

by Glenys Hanson -
Hello Mark,

I'm new to Moodle, too, and can't answer all your questions but I can answer some.

I don't know about what happens to "mashed" quizzes.

I gather it's best to put all your files: the .jmt files, graphic files, sound files, etc. in one folder, zip it, upload the zipped folder to the files area of your course into a folder you've prepared there, unzip it, and then in your course use "Add an activity" - "Hot Potatoes Quiz" to add the .jmt file.
That's a bit succinct, but maybe it helps.

Gordon Bateson, the expert on Hot Potatoes in Moodle, is currently working on making it possible for "chains" of HP exercises to be added all in one go. If I've understood him rightly, it should be finished by the end of September.

As far as I know, there isn't a "Hot Potatoes in Moodle" tutorial but I'd be glad to collaborate on one - when I understand it all myself smile

All the best,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Mark,
Glenys's solution is right on the button! Zip up the folder containing the quizzes (and any associated image and sound files), upload it to the "Files" area for your course, and then use Moodle to unzip the folder.

The current version of the HotPot module requires you to add the quizzes one at a time to the Moodle course. This is rather laborious I am afraid.

I am currently polishing off version 2.1 of the HotPot module which incorporates quite a few enhancements, including the "chaining" then Glenys has mentioned. I expect to release a preliinary version soon after I return to Japan on Aug 28th.

BTW, it's a great idea to create a tutorial for the HotPot module!

cheers
Gordon
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Mark Callagher -

Hi Glenys and Gordon,

Thanks for your quick response. I will give it a go and keep an eye out for version 1.2.

Regards,

Mark