Adding HotPot to v1.5 Moodle...

Adding HotPot to v1.5 Moodle...

by Andrew Steele -
Number of replies: 3
I was enthused to try the HotPot module by Gordon's passionate presentation at the recent MoodleMoot in Oxford.  Great stuff Gordon!

So I went into the Admin, Modules area and find that the Hotpot module ins't available (ie not listed and no open or closed eye).

So I've quickly downloaded the module to manually install and find the instructions in the ReadMe.txt file are confusing mixed

The first step about creating the hotpot directory was straightforward but after that it refers to language files which do not appear to exist in the zip or, at least, are not located where the readme suggests they should be.

Have the instructions been updated and the ReadMe not kept abreast of the changes?  Or could the zip file be incomplete?  Or am I just dumb?

If the last option, a really patient explanation would be appreciated.  Anyway, a pointer to the correct answers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Andrew

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Steele

Re: Adding HotPot to v1.5 Moodle...

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Andrew,

Are you using 1.5.2+? AFAIK, the HotPot module is standard i.e. included in the Moodle distribution, though hidden unless your site already included HotPot activities. I assume this is why the language files are missing from the zip, though you're right about the readme file needing updating. wink

Anyway, since you've managed to install the HotPot module, you may obtain the language files from Moodle Download languages or by simply extracting the attached en.zip (containing only hotpot language files) to moodle/lang. You'll end up with a file hotpot.php in moodle/lang/en/ and a hotpot folder in moodle/lang/en/help/.

PS You're not the only one who was enthused by Gordon's MoodleMoot presentation - I couldn't wait to have a play with the HotPot module either! smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Andrew Steele -
Many thanks for the files.  We're still with v1.5.1 awaiting time to update the installation and the chap with the server passwords to return from summer holidays smile

Andrew

In reply to Andrew Steele

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Andrew,
sorry not to have been able to reply earlier, I am still on the move in Europe and have only just reached a decent internet connection after being spoilt with LAN and wireless network access at the MoodleMoot in Oxford (many thanks to Sean Keogh and Liz Polding for their superb work in organizing the conference)

Anyway, getting to your immediate problem you need to find a version of the HotPot language files and put it in the "lang/en" folder on your Moodle site. In case you can't find one, I have attached one to this message.

After putting the attached "hotpot.php" file in your "lang/en" folder, you will need to log in as an administartor to your site and visit your "admin/index.php" page, at which point Moodle should detect the hotpot module and install it by creating the necessary database tables.

FYI, the README.TXT file assumes the existance of a couple of sub folders called "lang" and "pix" but these don't seem to have been included in your download. Curious thoughtful

Please let us know how you get on smile

best regards
Gordon