Grading a multiple choice question taking into account the answers in correlation

Grading a multiple choice question taking into account the answers in correlation

by Cristina Fierbinteanu -
Number of replies: 7

Dear all,

I am wondering if and how it would be possible to grade a multiple choice question taking into account the checked answers in correlation.

For example, grade a question with -1 if there is at least one wrong answer checked.

TIA for any comment or suggestion.

Cristina

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cristina Fierbinteanu

Re: Grading a multiple choice question taking into account the answers in correlation

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Cristina,

Yes, you can. With multiple answer questions, you can set the grade for each option in a question to positive or negative points. See: https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Multiple_Choice_question_type#Multiple-answer_questions

I hope this helps! smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Matt Bury

Re: Grading a multiple choice question taking into account the answers in correlation

Yes, it helps, thank you!

However, it doesn't solve my problem completely, because I cannot set the grade for each option as an absolute value or in correlation to the other options.

Let's say I have a question with four choices, among which 2 are correct. What I want to do is to subtract -1 from the total grade if one or both of the wrong answers are checked, not -0.5 if one wrong answer is checked and -1 if both are checked.

Also, if a question has 3 correct choices out of 4, I would like the value of the grade to be 2 if all the correct choices are checked (and the wrong one is not checked), and 1 if the question is partially answered (meaning 1 or 2 correct choices checked).

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There are almost infinitely many ways people might want to grade multiple response questions.

If the way that the standard Moodle question types does it, which is pretty flexible, is not good enough, and if the extra question types available in the plugins database (https://moodle.org/plugins/view/qtype_oumultiresponse or https://moodle.org/plugins/view/qtype_multichoiceset) don't meet your needs, then the only option is to make another new question types, with your own particular scoring rules.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Thank you! This really helped. I am planning to use OU multiple response for now.

In reply to Tim Hunt

It looks like I need to make a new question type. I am a middle level (Java ) programmer, have had some experience with PHP a long  time ago, but I'm an absolute beginner to Moodle development.

Is there any step-by-step kind of tutorial to developing custom question types in Moodle, that could get me started?

Many thanks,

Cristina

by Dorel Manolescu -
In reply to Dorel Manolescu

by Dorel Manolescu -

In your case I think the better approach is to clone the multiple choice question type  and build the new question type based on that clone (rename all the references to multiplechoice inside the clone to your new plugin name ...)