Marking block and no grade - not linking properly

Marking block and no grade - not linking properly

by Nikki Macfarlane -
Number of replies: 10
I have the marking block and have it working perfectly for graded assignments. When an assignment is worth no grade it shows an entry in the marking block when the student submits the work.

However, if the teacher clicks on the no graded item in the marking block, it takes them to a Grades page and they cannot access the submitted work. The only way to access it is to click on the item itself in the topics outline and then do a sort on all the items that have been submitted.

How can we get items to be able to be linked corrected in the marking block, whether graded or not?

Thanks,

Nikki

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nikki Macfarlane

Re: Marking block and no grade - not linking properly

by Nikki Macfarlane -
Have attached a file showing the screens that appear so this whole problem makes more sense. Also a better and clearer explanation below.

If I create an assignment which is graded out of 100, it works perfectly in the marking block. The student submits it and the teacher can see it in the marking block. The teacher then clicks on the assignment in the marking block and is taken straight to the assignment. They can then view it and give feedback directly, and assign a grade to it. (see attached)

The problem is when there is an assignment where it has been set up to have no grade. So for example, the teacher wants the student to submit some work that is not going to contribute towards the students final grade. The assignment that is set to not have a grade shows up in the marking block when the student submits it.

However, if the teacher clicks on it, they are not taken to the assignment so they can view it. They are instead taken to a Grades page which lists all students in the course. It shows the students name in the far left column and a button with the title "grade" in the far right. If they want to find students who have submitted work they have to look through the list and then click on grade to mark it.

I do not understand why the marking block treats assignments with grades and those without grades as different. The problem is that my teachers who are not very moodle friendly find this whoel process difficult since they have to look in different places depending on whether the assignment is simply for review or to be graded.

The marking block also does not show Feedback even though feedback on my system does have a grade - I added some extra code provided here to change the grade to 1 when the feedback was submitted. I am thinking it probably needs a feedback folder in the markingblock folder in order for the marking block to recognize feedback but I am afraid that is completely beyond me! Any ideas on how I could get this implemented? The only way my teachers have at the moment of knowing that a student has submitted feedback is to manually enter each feedback page (and we have 10 of them for more than 300 students!) and look up to see what has come in recently. A logistical nightmare! It would be great if all work submitted - whether graded or not, whether feedback or assignment or questionnaire or whatever - all showed up in the marking block rather than teachers having to locate work in several different places. i can see this veyr quickly meaning that work that needs to be reviewed gets missed by busy teachers.

Thanks so much for any ideas or suggestions.

Nikki

by Darren Smith -
The images didn't come with the html file. Any chance you could zip them all up and then attach or even post them in a word file?
In reply to Darren Smith

by Nikki Macfarlane -
Sorry Darren. I had thought that would work. I tried a word file but it ends up exceeding the 500K limit. No idea how I zip a file!! I will attach as two separate attachments. The first to this post whihc is what i see when it is for an assignment that IS to be awarded to a grade and it is working fine.

Nikki
In reply to Darren Smith

by Nikki Macfarlane -
OK - this is what I saee when the assignment is a NO GRADE assignment and I cannot link to it correctlyt through the marking block.

Nikki

by Darren Smith -
I see.

This is a bug as the entries in the marking block should not be showing in the first place wink. In the next release of the marking block / page No Grade assignments will not appear. The reason for this is we don't mark assignments which are set not to be marked so we don't want them on the list (IYSWIM)

How about setting up an erroneous scale, such as 'checked by teacher' or similar rather than using no grade? That way they will work in this version and continue to work in future versions.

If you need help with setting up the scales then let me know.
In reply to Darren Smith

by Nikki Macfarlane -
Well thats a bummer Darren because most of my course is made up of feedback forms and I only have one piece of work that is actually graded. My students do a lot of reflective practice, and as such, need to send that reflection to the teacher. They do this through the feedback module. This is not graded but does need to be seen by the teacher in order for them to finish their course. If the marking block does not show the feedback, the only notification the teacher has is to receive an email that the feedback is done. But if they delete the email with the link to the feedback there is no further information for them to see that feedback is awaiting comment to the student.

The perfect option (if it was possible!!) would be for the teacher to decide whether or not something should appear in the marking block. So if they decide it should be there in the marking block and not be removed until the feedbakc is given, then it stays there. Otherwise it does not appear.

Is there any way to have a field in the marking block that has entries for items unmarked (ungraded), items resubmitted, and items for viewing (feedback or no graded items).

My students also sent a request for an id card - they do this by submitting an assignment and uploading a file (their photo). The assignment obviously does not need to be graded but we need more than just one email to show that it has been received. These are currently showing up in the marking block which is great.

The problem with only getting an email response and no message on the marking block is then admin has no way of seeing that teachers are actually feeding back on the pieces of work. My teachers are based all over the world and I need to be able to see if they have actually completed a piece of work - even if that is only giving feedback. If the item shows in the marking block it stays there then until the teacher looks at it and either grades it or provides feedback. A good check that all pieces of work are being completed.

Any way this can remain a feature fo the marking block and be enhaced (that is that the teacher is taken straight to the work if it appears) rather than removing it?

Nikki

by Darren Smith -
The problem with the feedback module not showing in the marking block is only to be expected. The feedback module is not part of the standard moodle install and it appears to be changing frequently so I can't really help you there. Perhaps if enough people are using the feedback module and need functionality in the marking block then one of the module developers could hack it into the marking block? Mike Churchward, who is developing the block for us could add this extra functionality for you but I am not sure how much he would charge. I can, however, thoroughly recommend him as a Moodle developer approve

The perfect option (if it was possible!!) would be for the teacher to decide whether or not something should appear in the marking block .....

Intersting but more complex than the current approx and overkill for what we need it for. That said, if you contact Mike he would be able to say with certainty how easy / complex it would be and to give you a quote for the additional functionality you require.

Is there any way to have a field in the marking block that has entries for items unmarked (ungraded), items resubmitted, and items for viewing (feedback or no graded items).

We originally started out looking at fields like this but it was easier / cheaper for me for this information to be calculated on the fly rather than adding additional fields to standard moodle tables. I made a lot of modifications on my 1.4.x moodle and spent a week on the upgrade getting it working (even after running an upgrade on a test server) and I don't want to go through that again next time around! Of course if Martin includes the marking block as part of the standard moodle installation then something like this would be easier but I woudln't hold my breath on that just for the moment.

My students also sent a request for an id card - they do this by submitting an assignment and uploading a file (their photo). The assignment obviously does not need to be graded but we need more than just one email to show that it has been received. These are currently showing up in the marking block which is great.

Don't upgrade to the next version wink You have identified the difficulty in monitoring submitted work using standard moodle. It was a nightmare for us before we got Mike to write us the marking block. I must admit, I still don't understand your reluctance to add a new scale thoughtful, that way the student would also be able to receive confirmation that it has been checked by a human and the teacher / whoever would not have to write any comments - merely pick 'Thank you for you submission' or whatever from the drop down box.

The problem with only getting an email response and no message on the marking block is then admin has no way of seeing that teachers are actually feeding back on the pieces of work....

Then we are back to setting up a custom scale so it can be marked as 'Checked by teacher' or whatever (it doesn't have to be a grade out of 100) then it will always appear in the block until it is marked. Of course there is the assignment overview page which is Martin's prefered method.

Any way this can remain a feature fo the marking block and be enhaced (that is that the teacher is taken straight to the work if it appears) rather than removing it?

Too late for the next version and it's all down to ££££'s. I have a load of other projects I would also like to pay for and no budget sad

by James Robertson -

I am a relative newbie (1 term testing, 1 term production).  I also have work that I only want to confirm has been done, without a grade.  I give it a grade of 1 and set it as excluded in the gradebook using advanced features.  It seems to work fine.

Our school uses the excel download for official records.  As far as I can tell the excel download does not use the advanced gradebook features and just downloads all the points (is there a way to get the advanced settings reflected in the excel download?), so I have to remove the ungraded assignments from the total in the next column after the total points.  A little awkward, but fairly quick & easy.

Jim.

P.S. Darren, when do you anticipate the next Marking Block version will be done?

In reply to James Robertson

by Darren Smith -
Darren, when do you anticipate the next Marking Block version will be done?

Ummmm ... soon big grin.
If everything is straight forward then sometime in Sept I would imagine.