More ratings on moodle.org?

More ratings on moodle.org?

by Darren Smith -
Number of replies: 3
I have just used a forum rating rather than posting a 'me too' reply but the closest I could get was 'perfect answer' when, in fact, it wasn't an answer.

Do people use these on threads? Would you use them more if you had more options or is it just me?

Somethings additional options I would use would be:
  • Excellent idea
  • Good idea
  • I agree
  • I disagree
  • Thanks!
Thoughts?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Darren Smith

Re: More ratings on moodle.org?

by James Robertson -

Hi Darren,

• Excellent idea
  • I agree
  • Thanks!

Jim.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to James Robertson

by Darren Smith -
Raised as Bug #3897 so pop over there and vote if you agree smile

I also added You're Welcome and, more importantly Yes and No. This would enable it to be so easy to get a straw poll from a forum post.
In reply to Darren Smith

by James Robertson -

I expect the problem with adding these kinds of ratings is that the scale is supposed to be unidimensional so that it will make reasonable sense for the gradebook to average all the ratings and give the result.  For example, it makes sense to say that "fairly helpful" is between "good information" and "not very helpful", but "I agree" isn't between "Excellent idea" and "You're welcome." 

To put it another way, ratings are presumed to be along some sort of scale, but it also makes sense to allow ratings that are not necessarily positions along a scale.  Perhaps another type of ratings needs to be defined ("Unscaled"), and for gradebook output it would send the number of posts submitted to that forum for each user rather than an average (I can't see what else would make sense).

Jim.