a special Quiz module for my university

a special Quiz module for my university

by Nicolas Drosson -
Number of replies: 17
Hi,

For my thesis I will develop a similar module that fits exactly the needs of my university. For this, I thought I could ask for help and I could also help to extend yours.

My module should enable professors to complete exams. It means multiple choice and "Lückentext" (a text with missing words to find) but also sometimes open questions so the user answers in whole phrases. The last one would not be corrected automically. Another need is that the exams have random questions so each student have different questions, but it should also be possible to have examgroups (for example 4 different exams for one class). I think I could use a lot of your modules. The multiple choice questions should exist in many different forms:
  • one right answer with a number of phrase answers
  • one or more right answer
  • one right answer with phrase answers and combination of those (it means there are maybe 4 different answers in phrase and then ex. a, c and d /a and c and so on)
  It should be possible to copy the exam of one course to another (it means the config of the exam).

This is just a small part of the requirement. Could someone give me hints to do it best? Maybe a collaboration would be possible to extend the functions of the actual module, but I must be able to show what I did for my thesis.

Thx in advance. Nico
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nicolas Drosson

Re: a special Quiz module for my university

by Nicolas Drosson -
Hi,

I don't understand why nobody answers, did I post at the wrong place? Do the actual quiz module already do everything I need? If it does, I did not find it. What did I do wrong so no one wanted to write me?

Regards Nico

by Art Lader -
Hi, Nico,

I think the real quiz experts may be deep into development or other projects right now. I'll bet you someone will address this as soon as possible.

I suspect that the community has grown so much, so fast, that it is becoming ever more challenging to keep up with the many requests for assistance.

Wish I could be more help!

Regards,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Nicolas Drosson -
Hi Art,

Thx for your answer. I hope I won't need too much help, in fact I have to take the actual quiz module, adapt what should be adapted and then purpose my changes to the community. Maybe they think it is not bad.

Regards,

Nico

by A. T. Wyatt -
I am no developer, but I really like some of the ideas you have proposed. Especially that part about copying the exam from one course to another.

I hope to use your module when it is ready to go!

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Nicolas Drosson -
Hi atw,

I hope I wil be ready at the end of march 2006 (so I can finish my studies).

Regards. Nico

by Ger Tielemans -

In lesson you can combine them all in one "test-set".

Can you explain why it still does not fit your needs? 

Maybe the "static" name lesson is missleading? ("Matrix" would be a better description of the power of this module)

by Julian Sedding -
I think it is very ambitious to try and recode the quiz module - and I don't think it is necessary either.

- Multiple choice questions exist, however, there is a discussion (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=12161) going on about how it could be improved (maybe that would be a good point to start development, because it forces you to understand the concept and implementation of question types).

- The 'Lückentext' type question also exists, it is called 'cloze' or 'multianswer' question and allows to include 'shortanswer', 'numerical' and 'multichoice' at any place in a text.

- The open text question type is called 'essay' and exists as a add-on for moodle 1.5.x (I think it is in contrib) and will be part of the 1.6 distribution. As you say, it has to be marked manually.

Copying quizzes beteen courses is currently not possible, if I know correctly.

You can find documnentation for the quiz module if you check out the 1.6 dev code from CVS. It is a set of HTML files in /mod/quiz/doc/. Also, there is some information (beware, some of it may be out-dated)in the Wiki (http://moodle.org/mod/wiki/view.php?id=2935&page=QuizDevelopment).

I hope that helps you getting started!

Julian
In reply to Julian Sedding

by Nicolas Drosson -
Hi Julian,

Thx for your great answer it is exactly what I wanted to know. My quiz module will probably be only an improvement of the existing one. I do not pretend to make a new one alone in such a short time.

I think what I should improve is also the way the tests are set up because we will probably have really big pools so the teachers won't want to take the time to choose them (one of the institutes that are interested has about 1600 question another one much more). Until now, I did not find a way to say, I want a test with 3 questions of this pool and 2 of this one and those questions should be randomly chosen so each student gets a different test.

I still have to sum up all the requirements and what the actual quiz module can do and then look at what I need to do.

So now, it's time to really begin. Thx a lot again.

Nico

by Michael Penney -
I'd recommend focusing your development time on two components of your project that are not yet fulfiled by the standard 1.5 quiz or coming in 1.6:

Quiz templates: allow a quiz of a 'type' to be created which sets all of your defaults (e.g. practice quiz, final exam, etc.). If you also look at lesson, you can see that we implemented a way for a lesson template to be set per course (save these settings as default). If this could be done with quiz, so that default settings could be saved as templates and shared among courses the way question categories are now, then that would be a great improvement for busy teachers and (if coded well, well documented and using the Moodle API and coding guidelines) could possibly be added to the main Moodle distribution.

Individual quiz copying would be another great improvement, right now it's easy to copy types of activities from one course to another, e.g. it's easy to copy all the quiizzes from once course to another course, but it would be nice it if was easy to copy one specific quiz.

If I were teaching CS courses, there would be a requirement for student projects: code it, yes, but make sure to follow the guidelines of the project you are coding for. Because chances are it won't be easy for the core project team to integrate it, even if it the gee spiffyist widget of the century, if you don't. In my opinion your long range goal should be to get your code integrated into the main project or at least make is easy to keep updated by using as much of the standard API and coding style as you can. And comment clearly when you are creating new functions, classes, etc. so other coders can follow what you are trying to do.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Nicolas Drosson -
I'll do my best. These 2 points would be a good beginning. Are there any other guidelines (I know the ones of http://moodle.org/doc/?frame=developer.html) or tutorial and so on I could take to learn alone before I really begin to develop my component? Most of the coding rules seem to be a standard in development at all.

Thx for all the help. I'm getting motivated.

Regards. Nico

by A. T. Wyatt -

" I want a test with 3 questions of this pool and 2 of this one and those questions should be randomly chosen so each student gets a different test. "

This is a feature that I would like to see.  When using Moodle's quiz maker, I have found it difficult to manage my pools.  In fact, in other software, I have seen the pool creation and management process SEPARATED from the assessment management process, and there are some merits to that approach.  I would like to have control about how many questions come from each pool, but allow the questions to be randomized within sections of the test.  That might not make sense, so let me give an example:

I might have small quizzes every week or so.  When it comes time for the final, I would like to give a comprehensive exam that pulls from the various pools created for those weekly quizzes.  My two problems are:  1) I would like to have more questions from some weeks than other weeks (maybe a topic was very important, or took longer than a week to cover) and 2) I would like to set up the test where the questions pertaining to each of the topics were presented in order, but the questions within each of the topic groups were randomized. 

The reason for that is because students are already in a stressful position when taking an exam.  To ask a question from the beginning of the course, then a question from the end of the course, then another question from the first third of the course seems very fragmentary and stress-inducing to me.  Even when I give the small quizzes on the reading for the week, I was not happy that the questions forced the students to flip all over the reading to find the response.  I would LOVE to have the questions presented in order, just randomly leaving out one or the other so that different students would get different tests but still have a logical progression of thought.  After all, I am not about trying to reduce their knowledge to a series of disconnected facts!  Randomized tests can make you feel like you entered a whirlwind!  But as teachers, we need them to combat cheating and introduce challenge. sad

This may be completely outside of your project parameters, but it was such an interesting conversation that I couldn't help throwing in a few more curveballs!  (only you should see me play baseball.  It is a disaster!)  And if you already know how to do that in Moodle, and I just haven't figured it out, please send me a link to a tutorial!smile

Regards,
atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Nicolas Drosson -
Hi ATW,

Thx for the idea, I did not think about it, because the teachers here do not really need it. In my concept I thought I would only put all questions of one pool together so it is for me much easier to program. So I think I would try to include this requirement in my concept.

Regards,

Nico
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Michael Penney -
Hi ATW, can't you do this with 1.5 quiz? If your weeks are question categories, you can pull random questions from each category into the quiz in a set order for each student, and if you turn off 'shuffle questions' in the quiz settings, and the random questions are displayed from each category in the order that you set them up.

For the question pools, this is also separated in 1.5, though at present you have to enter a quiz to get to the question pools. *

Or did I miss the point of what you are trying to do?

*(Hmm, an 'Edit my Question Pools' button would be a good addition to the Course Menu/Control Panel block...)

In reply to Michael Penney

by A. T. Wyatt -
Let me look into it further.  Based on your information, I believe I have misunderstood the difference between "shuffle questions" and "random questions" and how they can be used together.  I could also have been confused because I was used to a system where I could edit the pools separately.  Having to enter the quiz before accessing the pools was disorienting because I have been thinking of them as rather independent components (i.e., BlackBoard).

I get a little lost in the moodle quiz interface because I am not used to it yet.  Now that you have pointed out some places where my understanding is faulty, I will give it another go!  Thanks!smile

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Nicolas Drosson -
Hi,

Is there a documentation for the quiz so I know everything the quiz module is able to? I already found the developper one, but I did not the one to explain how I do what (I did not find the sourceforge page of the project if there is one).

Regards

Nico