Error after upgrading

Error after upgrading

by Brian Roy -
Number of replies: 7
I just used Fantastico to upgrade to v1.5. It seem to work successfully, however, when I try to log into the site as an admin, I get the error:

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/bconsult/public_html/moodle/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 2689

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/bconsult/public_html/moodle/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php:2689) in /home/bconsult/public_html/moodle/lib/setup.php on line 284

Can someone direct me to what this error means and how to fix it?

Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Roy

Re: Error after upgrading

by Jason Hando -
AFAIK this is a problem with extra blank lines added to the bottom of your config.php file. It happened to me and I fixed it by opening the file in Dreamweaver, deleting blank lines up to last ">" and then putting back on server.

The answer is actually in your post if you click on the "hot" words: headers already sent  - this is an automatic glossary link to FAQ.

Hope this works for you smile

Cheers,
Jason 
In reply to Jason Hando

by Brian Roy -
Ok, I'm stumped. mixed  I went through the files that had error messages and deleted extra blank lines making sure not to disturb any of the coding. When I open a new browser window on my Moodle site I get the same errors (and additional ones).
===========================================
Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/bconsult/public_html/moodle/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 2632

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/bconsult/public_html/moodle/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php:2632) in /home/bconsult/public_html/moodle/lib/setup.php on line 238

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/bconsult/public_html/moodle/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php:2632) in /home/bconsult/public_html/moodle/lib/moodlelib.php on line 2118

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/bconsult/public_html/moodle/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php:2632) in /home/bconsult/public_html/moodle/lib/moodlelib.php on line 2119
=======================================
Then I tried a clean Fantastico install into a different folder (v1.5) and get the same error messages.
Could there something wrong with the way Fantastico installs?
How can I find out if they're installing 1.5 or 1.5.2?
Could I do a manual install?

Thanks

In reply to Brian Roy

by Jason Hando -
How did you take out the blank lines? They can be added again if you use the wrong software/method (eg. cpanel>file manager>edit file). I would use an ftp client or ftp within web authoring software.

Version of Moodle... Fantastico normally says what version when it goes to install and is currently only up to 1.5 from what I know. At least on my host, keeping in mind it is up to each host to upgrade their fantastico as well!

Other way I know to find version number is bottom of main page of your site.... hover over Moodle log or view source and it will be right down bottom. Checked mine and sure enough it said 1.5.2+

Manual install is possible. You will have to create the database manually... have you ever used phpmyadmin? It's pretty straightforward though.

The other thing you will have to do is get the moodle software folder... can download from moodle.org then ftp as zip file and unzip once on server in cpanel>file manager.

Or can use ssh if your host will let you. This allows you to the cvs version system and download latest version of moodle straight from sourceforge.

I probably know enough to be dangerous so if nothing I say works for you then perhaps someone else more technical can jump in smile

In reply to Jason Hando

by Brian Roy -
Thanks Jason,
I use NoteTab Pro, a great text editor.

Version (from hovering over the logo) is 1.5

It sounds like I'm going to have to install 1.5.2 manually and restore the backup I have.

I'll post the results.
In reply to Brian Roy

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Brian,

If you've not done so already, please check the discussion adodb.inc.php error msg - and Can't Log In.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Brian Roy -
Thanks Helen. I d/l'd the most ADOdb files and unzipped, changed the formula mentioned and ftp'd to my Moodle site. But, I get the same error messages.