Using cPanel to upgrade moodle

Using cPanel to upgrade moodle

by David Le Blanc -
Number of replies: 4
I am wondering if anyone has experience using cPanel to upgrade their instance of moodle to a new version? I'm not sure how to do this. I have backed up my original version (1.8) and created an new installation of moodle (version 1.9). I'm not sure where to go from here.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Le Blanc

Re: Using cPanel to upgrade moodle

by David Le Blanc -
This probably wasn't the way to do it but it worked for me. I created a backup of my 1.8 version (mdle1) and renamed it to the name of the newer version's backup (mdle1 >> mdle2). I then restored this renamed backup file (mdle2) into the directory of my new 1.9 instance of  moodle. After visiting the admin directory to complete the restore, everything seems to be working just fine.
In reply to David Le Blanc

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I suspect you're still running 1.0.8.1 smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by David Le Blanc -

I suspected that it might be 1.8 as well but it has a different look and when I visit the admin page it states that it is 1.9.

I am quite the neophyte with using cPanel and other utility programs to install software. I have downloaded and installed moodle 1.1.1 on my desktop computer. I would like to install it at my site (http://MySandbox.net) but it is unavailable with the fantastico software that comes with my server host. I tried unsuccessfully to do this manually using the cPanel File Manager. I know that this probably isn't the forum to discuss these questions so I will see what I can find out elsewhere. I think that other people may find themselves in a similar situation. If I learn the process of how to do this, I can post the steps here.