Why do I get this?

Why do I get this?

by Colin Fraser -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Moodle ver 2.5.x

I have people asking me why they always get this:

what is a wild card

I don't have an answer, not being a big fan of the quiz module I have never really worried about it. But that has to change, so what is a wild card in this context? How to I get rid of the wild card? 

BTW, the question is a simple one for junior primary students, "How many eggs in a dozen cartons of eggs?" (We only have a dozen eggs in 1 carton, so 12 eggs in 12 cartons, has only one answer. 144.) 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: Why do I get this?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You don't say which question type you are using Colin, but I am guessing it is the entertainingly named Simple Calculated question. If you have only one answer then you might be better off using the Numerical question type.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Thanks Marcus, ahh so the response is dictated by the question type. The next question would be, what is the necessity for having a wildcard in the answer/response? 

First observation of the quiz module: documentation is written by experts. 

So I look at Numeric Question type and learn: 

"Allows a numerical response, possibly with units, that is graded by comparing against various model answers possibly with tolerances."

Yep... written by experts. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The wildcards are about giving each student a different set of numbers to work out, so the person next to you will see the same calculation but with different numbers.  I would agree that much of the documentation is "written by experts", but on the other hand I started some of my help text with "Marking is binary and accumulative" which is both accurate and utterly unhelpful to any normal human being.

I think the presence of a Calculated and a Calculated Simple question is quite telling. When I execute my Coup d'tat and assume supreme control of all things Moodle the Calculated and Calculated Simple questions will be hidden/disabled by default and and there will be a new Sums question designed for very busy and distracted people. It will be entirely Ajaxified and developed with Agile Boilerstrap and Node.js.